Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi Folks
Just looking for some help please,my wife who is a Filipino / irish citizen who is currently living in the Philippines taking sole care of our niece ( 6 weeks old ),we have started the domestic adoption process in the Philippines and my wife will stay there until it is completed,
then our future plan would be to bring the child back to Ireland,our lawyer said there should be no problem with the adoption in the Philippines as both parents have given consent and it is a relative adoption,
i am living in Ireland as i need to support my wife and child as my wife gave up her job here to go live back in the Philippines,
once the adoption is finalized in the Philippines and we get the new birth cert can we apply for an irish passport for our daughter,do we need to register the adoption in Ireland and also is it ok that both of us are not living in the Philippines
Any help would be great.
Kind regards
S
Hi,
You cannot complete this as a domestic adoption and then apply for a visa- unless you intend for your wife to live abroad until she is granted approval to immigrate your child, which might take a long time. International adoption is regulated by the Hague convention rules - contact the Adoption Authority of Ireland for info on the formal process. You need to consult the Irish adoption authority and follow its procedures as your adoption will need to conform to Hague treaty's requirements:
[url=http://aai.gov.ie/]Adoption Authority of Ireland[/url]
Good luck!
Advertisements
Great answer, Max'smom, and right on target.
GalwaySean, please remember two important facts:
1. International adoption has two components -- adoption and immigration. Just because you manage to acquire and adopt a child in a foreign country, it does not follow that you will automatically be able to immigrate the child to your country of residence. You may wind up with legal and moral responsibility for the child, but may be unable to get a visa to bring him or her home because your adoption did not conform to the international process agreed to betweeen your country and the country from which you are adopting.
2. As Max's Mom indicates, both Ireland and the Philippines have ratified Hague Convention #33, in respect of intercountry adoption. The Hague Convention is a very important international treaty that aims to protect adoptable children, their birthparents, and adoptive parents from exploitation. When two countries have ratified the Hague, they commit to using a specific adoption process for any child being adopted from one and immigrated to the other.
As a result, you MUST go through the Hague process to adopt a child from the Philippines and bring her to Ireland. If you do not go through the Hague process, the Philippines government may decline to give your niece the paperwork that will be required for immigration, and your government may decline to allow your child to enter Ireland until you have lived overseas with her for a period of years.
Sharon