Advertisements
Advertisements
Tomorrow we are having our transition plan meeting. We are so excited to be at this point. We have recieved and read the kids disclosure summaries, and we will receive the giant stack of full disclosures to read through at our leisure. There is nothing that would make us turn our back on these kids we have felt a connection to them from the beggining and are fully commited to them.
Is there anything We should be asking in this meeting??? Any questions you found helpful when transitioning your children from a former foster home to your adoptive home??? We are transitioning 4 kids 3 from one home ages 3 4 and 5 and a 15 month old that is in a separate foster home.
has the baby had visits with the others, seems like he is going to need the longest transition because he is not only leaving everything he had ever known, but he is being put with his 3 older siblings who he has never lived with. Going from being the center of attention to the youngest of 4 and not even the baby of the household seems like a hard transition. Good luck, I am praying for a smooth transition for everyone.
Advertisements
PerfectWings
has the baby had visits with the others, seems like he is going to need the longest transition because he is not only leaving everything he had ever known, but he is being put with his 3 older siblings who he has never lived with. Going from being the center of attention to the youngest of 4 and not even the baby of the household seems like a hard transition. Good luck, I am praying for a smooth transition for everyone.
They lived together for the first 4 months of his life and have had weekly visits. His foster family has other children in the home so he is used to a family environment. One of the children in his current foster home is around the same age he is. I can see the concern with not being the "baby" fortunately my husbands work schedule is such that he is off every 5 days for 5 days at a time so there is plenty of attention to go around.
I'm not sure how long the kids have been in foster care but I would rely heavily on the advice and recommendations of the current foster families as they TRULY know the children best at this point.
Smarty
After reading about the poop smearing 4 yo in the sibset of 4 and mountain mommys rad twins I hope they've been honest with their behaviors. You sound so optimistic. :)
Smarty yes optimistic :), We have already had the opportunity to spend time with these children on 3 ocassions for 2 hours each time, and there current Foster Mom has done an amazing job working on their behaviors while they have been in her care, but I guess further more I have already raised a child with Bi-polar disorder. She taught me everything I need to know about being a parent:) there isn't much I don't feel prepared to handle because I have already been through it with her.
Live.and.Learn
I'm not sure how long the kids have been in foster care but I would rely heavily on the advice and recommendations of the current foster families as they TRULY know the children best at this point.
I agree fully, I plan on asking if they will be a resource for us after the children are placed with us :)
Advertisements
I might suggest staggering it a bit. Having three come and then the 1 a few weeks later. I know that sounds like a long time but that's a lot of littles! Also if you have a good support system- let them help out. I insisted on trying to be the best Mom and wanting to seek no help this time my Mom met the new set the second time we did.
Congratulations and good luck!
rmsept81
I might suggest staggering it a bit. Having three come and then the 1 a few weeks later. I know that sounds like a long time but that's a lot of littles! Also if you have a good support system- let them help out. I insisted on trying to be the best Mom and wanting to seek no help this time my Mom met the new set the second time we did.
Congratulations and good luck!
Thank you definitely something to think and talk about. We will have very little say in the time frame of transition other than giving them the days we are available for visits and such. The AW said that basically the therapist will come up with the length of the plan and what they feel is in the best interest of the child. Then as we start the transition there will be flexibility in the plan and they will change it as needed as they see how the children are reacting. We do have a strong support system here locally and a grandma in waiting ready and willing to come stay with us for a couple months if we need the help.
Schedules! Get each child's schedule in writing. Either way transition is tough but it helps to know their routine to slowly change it. Sleeping and bedtime rituals are good to know. Things that comfort them, potty training routine, specific things that upset them easily, favorite and not so favorite foods, food allergies, specific current behavior or developmental goals, what discipline approach works best for each child, etc. The list could go on forever. These are the first I thought of. Keep us posted. It seems like you wait forever during transition. Sleep now! Ha ha!
Advertisements
Oops... i thought you meant questions for foster parents not for the meeting. Hmmm. I'll repost better later. Sorry.
Sheena85
How did it go?
It went well.....So if everything goes as planned and we all know how that is.... We starts visits tomorrow we will be doing visits in the foster homes with kiddos over the next 2 days Then working our way into the community over a few days and then into an overnight for the 15 month old and bringing him home on Sunday! Then back next week for more visits with the older kids for 5 days bringing them home at the end of that section of visits. This is if everything is going smooth and the children are responding well :)
FM says the older 3 have already started packing they are very excited for the move as they want a forevor family and always knew that the home they are in now while absolutely wonderful was not an adoptive home.
Ooooooo! I am SO excited for you Momov2!!!! Looking forward to updates as the littles move in :)
Makes me kind of jealous that we are foster only :)