Advertisements
Advertisements
If both parents relinquished, under the assumption of the foster family adopting, would DSS still pursue relatives?
Mom will probably end up relinquishing, or she will be TPR'd (worker today indicated they will probably push mom to relinquish to focus on her older kids as RU is not going to happen for Piglet and Pooh Bear).
Dad has apparently indicated he would like to be involved in the kids lives, and be a respite provider/have regular visits with them. He has been given my google voice number and I am hoping to build a decent relationship with him.
The CASA worker is 99% sure dad will relinquish if we agree to a very open adoption with him. Which we are willing to do.
If dad relinquished under those terms, would DSS continue to seek out relatives?
I asked this question, and I think it depends on the area and the CW. Since they aren't technically relinquishing to the foster family, I was told it is possible that relatives will still be pursued. They are relinquishing to the state, giving the state total control over their permanency. I actually think bios should be able to relinquish to the foster family, similar to voluntarily placing a baby for adoption.
Advertisements
I've heard of "conditional surrender" where parents agree to relinquish on the terms that someone in particular gets to adopt. Not sure if that's a thing here, just heard it around the boards. If no one can rule it in or out on the forums, I'd ask the SW.
If that's not a thing, I would expect the state to pursue relatives... Hopefully someone who actually knows what's what will clarify what I've just said lol
It depends, it depends, it depends. Append giant list of variables.
Moving on, I'd guess there's a 1 in a million chance they're going to find a relative to take 2 medically needy kids in this situation.
Since one of the variables is "Look at the fat check we'd get for these kids", I think the state will be quite protective of the children, and extra-examine any interested parties.
waitingforfamily
I've heard of "conditional surrender" where parents agree to relinquish on the terms that someone in particular gets to adopt. Not sure if that's a thing here, just heard it around the boards. If no one can rule it in or out on the forums, I'd ask the SW.
If that's not a thing, I would expect the state to pursue relatives... Hopefully someone who actually knows what's what will clarify what I've just said lol
This applies to family in our area, but I have no idea if it applies to foster parents or not. I know our bmom will relinquish to family, but she will not to us, bus so far no family can take him.
Advertisements
Not in my case. But for bios to TPR, an adoptive source had to be found. I would think that relatives would be looked for when kids first enter foster care. By the time TPR happens, if no family has come forward, the foster family is considered.
Here we have a type of relinquishment called "specific consents." This is where the bio relinquishes/ gives specific consent for the adoption of their child by a named individual. My FD's mom signed specific consents naming me as the person to adopt her daughter.
Where I am, the parents sign a "conditional surrender". It names the foster parent as the person to adopt. If the adoption falls through for any reason, the "surrender" becomes invalid. So, in that case, family can't come forward to adopt. It's almost like a private adoption that parents do with newborns where they pick an adoptive family for their child. Extended family isn't involved.
In your case, I think they may not. Because your kids have very high medical needs, I have seen kinship not pushed due to this. It's one thing to ask to step in on typical kids, it's a whole other with kids who need a lifetime of care.
Advertisements
Here this would be an "identified surrender" meaning bios agree to give up parental rights in order for you to adopt. Here they would stop pursuing family. However, it's also very rare here for both parents to do an identified surrender as they are told that the department can still place with family and bios usually opt to find family for the children instead. Good luck.
In our case, the DCYF negotiates a conditional surrender, which listed us as APs. The surrender would be null and void should we not finalize. (we did)
In that situation, looking for additional failiy members is halted, because DCYF agreed to it
In any other case, AFAIK, DCYF is required to continue to identify viable biological relatives
It sounds like you have built a pretty good relationship with the bios. I'm not familiar with voluntary relinquishment, but you may have another angle for getting a step up on family by having the bios name you as fictive kin. That will tie you to the family in an "emotional" way and may help.
I know in my area they are getting fed up with family coming forward so late in the cases. They are denying them placement on the grounds that they have not made an effort to form a bond with the child.
A FP friend of mine took in a drug exposed baby at birth. Nobody in the family even made an attempt to visit the baby (the bios will be TPRd cuz of their history). THEN, all of a sudden an aunt comes forward 8 months into the case and says she wants visits...says she wants placement. The agency is fighting the aunt tooth and nail because she sat on her @ss for too long. It sure has my friend worried though. I believe the aunt was sure the baby would have serious mental or physical damage from the drugs but found out she is perfectly healthy and now wants her.
IMO - Too little too late bi+ch!
MountainMommy
Here this would be an "identified surrender" meaning bios agree to give up parental rights in order for you to adopt. Here they would stop pursuing family. However, it's also very rare here for both parents to do an identified surrender as they are told that the department can still place with family and bios usually opt to find family for the children instead. Good luck.
Well mom has magically found family members, but not for my two- just for her older kids. (But funny how no family was interested in Pooh Bear for two years....anyway.)
Dad was told in court he had 24 hours to name a relative which he didn't do but I don't trust DSS to not follow up with relatives at all.
Paternal grandma says she supports her son if he wants to be involved but doesn't believe they are his kids to begin with, and she says she's too old to start over with babies.
I think we're out of the clear but I hear yalls stories and just get scared.
Advertisements
BoysParent
A FP friend of mine took in a drug exposed baby at birth. Nobody in the family even made an attempt to visit the baby (the bios will be TPRd cuz of their history). THEN, all of a sudden an aunt comes forward 8 months into the case and says she wants visits...says she wants placement. The agency is fighting the aunt tooth and nail because she sat on her @ss for too long. It sure has my friend worried though. I believe the aunt was sure the baby would have serious mental or physical damage from the drugs but found out she is perfectly healthy and now wants her.
IMO - Too little too late bi+ch!
Similar happened to me with my first. She was with me from a 1 month old. Gma never made an attempt to visit. Bio mom passed away from od and then Gma wanted. The agency did not work in my favor though. They pushed for gma and 9 days before her first birthday she went. Now gma is in prison and she's with a different relative...where were they when she was 1 month old??? She went to them right before she turned 2.
2 kids with feeding tubes, one with a trach right? I doubt family will come forward or the state will highly pursue finding family.
With our twins, 1 with a feeding tube and O2, family was so not interested.
For other med fragile kids I know who've been adopted its been the same story....