Advertisements
Advertisements
I was adopted by my step father when I was 6. I had the worst stepfather ever. I am an adult now and I have gotten my adoption records, but there wasnt a OBC in the file. i would like to change my maiden name back to my birth name.I have written the court for it but havent gotten it. When i do a calif BC search online my original comes up my amended doesnt. I dont know if i am approaching the court wrong. I am getting no answer at all. I havent posted here in 3 years, i am trying this again to see if someone can put me in the right direction. I dont live in California.
Thank you
Unfortunately, if you were born in California, you will NOT be able to get your OBC unless you petition the court and can show good cause for it to be released to you.
02705. All records and information specified in this article, other than the newly issued birth certificate, shall be available only upon the order of the superior court of the county of residence of the adopted child or the superior court of the county granting the order of adoption.
No such order shall be granted by the superior court unless a verified petition setting forth facts showing the necessity of the order has been presented to the court and good and compelling cause is shown for the granting of the order. The clerk of the superior court shall send a copy of the petition to the State Department of Social Services and the department shall send a copy of all records and information it has concerning the adopted person with the name and address of the natural parents removed to the court. The court must review these records before making an order and the order should so state. If the petition is by or on behalf of an adopted child whohas attained majority, these facts shall be given great weight, but the granting of any petition is solely within the sound discretion of the court.
The name and address of the natural parents shall be given to the petitioner only if he or she can demonstrate that the name and address, or either of them, are necessary to assist him or her in establishing a legal right.
However, you don't need your OBC if you simply want to change your name. I changed my name last summer (back to my birth name) simply by going to my local Circuit Court, completing the paperwork and paying a small fee.
Last update on October 28, 7:50 am by Sachin Gupta.
Advertisements
As AbusedAdoptee stated, you can change your name without obtaining the OBC.
Each state has different laws pertaining to name changes, but generally you just go to your local circuit court and fill out a form. In some state, you'll have to give public notice of the name change in your local paper. From what I've read, it is often required to be once a week for three weeks. Then, you go before the judge, and the judge will in all likelihood allow you to change your name.
Then, once it's changed, you can even petition the court in CA to change your name on your amended birth certificate.
As far as obtaining your OBC is concerned, have you tried just ordering it the way non-adoptees do? You would just fill out your name at birth and your parents' names, etc..... The reason I offer this as a possibility is that I find it odd that you're finding your OBC information when you do an online search. Adoptees typically cannot find their OBC information in an online search. Maybe, just maybe, you can get it just by ordering it.
L4R
As far as obtaining your OBC is concerned, have you tried just ordering it the way non-adoptees do? You would just fill out your name at birth and your parents' names, etc..... The reason I offer this as a possibility is that I find it odd that you're finding your OBC information when you do an online search. Adoptees typically cannot find their OBC information in an online search. Maybe, just maybe, you can get it just by ordering it.
I tried, several years ago, which is how I -- to my horror -- discovered that my OBC was unavailable to me.
If the OP is able to get his/her OBC from the State of California by means of a simple written request, I hope s/he will post a follow-up here, because I will then do exactly the same thing!
ceacea
When i do a calif BC search online my original comes up my amended doesnt.
Thank you
AbusedAdoptee, did you do an online search, too? And, did you only come up with your original birth certificate?
That's the only reason I suggested that ceacea attempt to get the OBC the non-adopted way.
I find it odd that the state of California would seal OBCs but would enable one to find the original and not the amended birth certificate online.
If that's typical of California, okay. But, if it isn't, ceacea may be able to easily obtain the OBC.
L4R
AbusedAdoptee, did you do an online search, too? And, did you only come up with your original birth certificate?
That's the only reason I suggested that ceacea attempt to get the OBC the non-adopted way.
I find it odd that the state of California would seal OBCs but would enable one to find the original and not the amended birth certificate online.
If that's typical of California, okay. But, if it isn't, ceacea may be able to easily obtain the OBC.
I'm not sure what source the OP used to find a BC online. I tried VitalChek.com (supposedly authorized by the state of California), and it tells me that my birth certificate isn't available online. I don't know any other service to try ... ???
I can find my birth record online via a couple sites, but nothing about the OBC.
When I sent a written request for my OBC (several years ago), I was told it was sealed and unavailable to me.
Advertisements
And, that's the way it is for most of us.
But, since OP found information about her OBC online and didn't find her ABC, maybe, just maybe there was a mess up along the line, and her OBC is still available.
Don't mention you'rw adopted if you try this. Just apply for it giving your b-dad and b-mom's names, and of course give them your original name.