Advertisements
Advertisements
In celebration of National Adoption Month I am sharing the chapel talk I gave when I was 17. It is the piece that started That Adopted Girl! It was the first time I went public and vocalized how I was feeling as an adoptee, and I vocalized it in front of my entire school, my parents and my birth parents.
xoxo
LOVE always and forever
That Adopted Girl
Happy ‪#‎NationalAdoptionMonth‬
[URL="http://thatadoptedgirljulianawhitney.com/2014/11/10/either-brave-enough-or-crazy-enough-the-piece-that-started-it-all/#more-354"]READ IT HERE![/URL]
Thank you for sharing. Your story is very touching. I have an open adoption similar to yours with my daughters family of origin. If they turn out half as okay as you have then I'm gonna be one proud mom.
Advertisements
Beautifully written, Juliana.
Even though I am a "closed era" adoptee, I am now in reunion with extended family (my bmother died many years ago) and a lot of what you say resonates with my own experience - you described it so well.
As for this:
I have something in my life that I get to work to understand on my own. While my adoption poses many questions for me to answer and times really pulls at my heart, I love that it is part of my life. Figuring out its complexity helps me to figure out who I am and therefore helps me grow greatly as a person so I can be the me that I want to be.
I agree almost word for word (except in my case, I would say "my reunion" because it wasn't until then that I could answer any of the questions). I am still figuring out things every day. One thing that has helped me is studying the history of child welfare and adoption throughout the ages, it helps put things into context.
You are a very talented young writer, Juliana.
This is awesome Juliana! If you're ever interested in writing articles, let me know and I'll forward you to our content manager.
adoptionadmin
This is awesome Juliana! If you're ever interested in writing articles, let me know and I'll forward you to our content manager.
Are you also looking for articles from adoptees with less-than-positive experiences?
Advertisements
AbusedAdoptee
Are you also looking for articles from adoptees with less-than-positive experiences?
As an adoptee, one thing I took from Juliana's post is that even open adoption adoptees still have the same questions as closed era adoptees.
Her experience as an open adoption adoptee reminded me of my experience in reunion - definitely questions were answered, questions still remain.
Also, I hope Juliana doesn't mind me saying this, but I think her post also shows that open adoption doesn't solve everything. Juliana still has a lot of things that she is trying to figure out, just like many of us other adoptees. I felt that Juliana was very real in describing how she felt.
Wrking21 exactly what I was thinking! Our DS is too little now to ask questions (not even 2), but I am sure that questions like these will come for us and the birthparents.
beatricesmith
As an adoptee, one thing I took from Juliana's post is that even open adoption adoptees still have the same questions as closed era adoptees.
Her experience as an open adoption adoptee reminded me of my experience in reunion - definitely questions were answered, questions still remain.
Also, I hope Juliana doesn't mind me saying this, but I think her post also shows that open adoption doesn't solve everything. Juliana still has a lot of things that she is trying to figure out, just like many of us other adoptees. I felt that Juliana was very real in describing how she felt.
I'm also the product of an open adoption, even though I was adopted during the BSE. That doesn't mean I don't still have LOTS of questions that can never be answered.
However, I'm not asking about Juliana's essay -- I'm just curious about the criteria for writing "articles" here. Many of us are bloggers. Some of us are even published authors. Is the site interested in a more inclusive presence, or is the invitation to write extended only to people with one specific point of view?
#‎flipthescript‬
Abused - I'm all about the view points. However; you have to look at what their business is. They are "adoption.com" I'm pretty sure that although they appreciate your perspective; it certainly wont further their cause, as such I doubt you'll be taken up on your offer. There are some great writers on this forum. I have no doubt many of you could be published.
Advertisements
There is an abundance of talented writers on here! AbusedAdoptee, you know I've read your blog and I think you have a very strong voice.
I am not the content manager, so I can't speak for that team, but I think there is a place here for articles that show more than just one reality of Adoption.
With that being said, the criteria for each article is that it will educate, inspire and uplift. The articles that are "less-than-positive", as it was tagged, are incredibly strong in the education department and something I feel everyone in the adoption community, or entering it, needs to know. If they can include the other bits of criteria, then I'm sure they would be considered. I understand the issue though, "uplift and inspire" are usually associated with "positive" themes, rather than "less-than-positive". I'm not sure if that answered your question at all, again, that's just my take.
BTW- Right now, they are heavily looking for fertility.org writers. I know that doesn't apply to everyone, but if anyone has been down that road also, let me know if you're interested.
wrking21
Abused - I'm all about the view points. However; you have to look at what their business is. They are "adoption.com" I'm pretty sure that although they appreciate your perspective; it certainly wont further their cause, as such I doubt you'll be taken up on your offer. There are some great writers on this forum. I have no doubt many of you could be published.
Oh, I doubt they'd appreciate my perspective (LOL), and I know that an offer to write will not be made to me.
Still, I do wish the site was truly open to hearing and honoring ALL voices.
adoptionadmin
There is an abundance of talented writers on here! AbusedAdoptee, you know I've read your blog and I think you have a very strong voice.
My blog is, for now, simply my personal story. I've written much more than that.
My published work, which I won't promote here since I've been asked not to, is actually QUITE uplifting and inspiring -- written for teens/tweens to support and help them deal with some of the issues they face as adoptees and/or fostered youth.
But, whatever. I get that I'm not a "good adoptee" and I'm OK with that.
#flipthescript
Abused. I would love it if you would PM me with your published works. I'd love to read them.
Advertisements
AbusedAdoptee
My published work, which I won't promote here since I've been asked not to, is actually QUITE uplifting and inspiring -- written for teens/tweens to support and help them deal with some of the issues they face as adoptees and/or fostered youth
I love your idea of writing for teens/tweens!!! That's one of the big reasons I made the initial writing comment to Juliana. If you want to give it a go, they usually want a short bio to get to know you, two writing samples of what you'd want to publish now and a few ideas for future articles you'd like to write. Let me know and I can forward you to our content team.
Thanks everyone for the time you put into what you write on here. I see so much of the "educate, uplift and inspire" on the forums! :happydance: