Advertisements
Advertisements
My husband is adopted. He found out at 32 and for the last 15 years has toyed with the idea of looking for his birth family off and on. Very brief background info is that his birth mother was his birth father's secretary and he was married with teenage daughters when my husband was born. Court records show that neither one told their respective families about the pregnancy. we put a post up in 2013 on ancestry.com looking for the birth father, thinking where else to try but a family history site. Dec 2014 we had a response from a woman who turned out to be my husband's niece. She in turn relayed the news to her mother, my husband's older half sister. Both this niece and sister have been very welcoming and eager to get to know the newest member of the family. the second biggest shock of all was finding out that the birth mother remained a close family friend for more than 40 years. It was suspected that the two were more than friendly but nothing ever was confirmed until last month. The biggest shick was learning that my husband's half sister had current contact details for his birth mother. She phoned the mother, told her they'd made contact with the son. Birth mother asked to have her details given to her son as she wanted to speak to him. My husband phoned his birth mother. Conversation went well, they even talked about the possibility of meeting up in the long term as she would like to meet him.
The problem is that I'm now in the difficult position of trying to help him deal with the emotional roller coaster that this has become. He tells me that he has no idea what he's feeling, no way of putting it into words and I don't know what to do to help. I try to talk to him, but it seems like all I do is say the wrong thing. He has a horrible habit of creating scenarios which don't exist and getting worked up about them, which I just don't understand. Tonight he admitted he'd had a huge mental argument with her about something. I don't understand why energy would be wasted on inventing a scenario when the real ones to hand can't/haven't been addressed. Is this some kind of coping mechanism?
I'm really struggling to know how to be supportive. I'm willing to talk about everything at any time but am constantly told " I don't know". I'm finding myself losing patience with his need to withdraw from everything, the inability to perform a simple task like making a cup of tea, and the constant excuses of sorry, my head's up my bum over all that's happened. I understand a lot has happened, but I don't understand why stopping everything, stopping living, is in any way a way to deal with these emotions and the shock.
I understand that this has all been so sudden and a shock for him but I have no idea what to do. I can only understand what he's going through by what he tells me which is next to nothing. If anyone has any advice I could really use some. I'm feeling completely lost and out of my depth, and I know he's feeling worse than that. What can I say or do that will help?
I've got to run right now but I will come back either tonight or tomorrow morning and provide you with some feedback. Hopefully with links to resources to explain better how utterly earthshattering this can be - especially I would imagine as a late discovery adoptee. I will also try to find something for you to try to understand what it is like to be adopted.
Kind regards,
Dickons
Advertisements
The best advice I can give you is to allow him space to process this information in his own way.
I know you want to be there for him. The best way to do that is to tell him you are there for him and will be there for him if he needs to talk or process things with you. And, then give him time to adjust to this.
And, honestly, he probably doesn't know how he's feeling. The feelings are complex and not static.
He may well be withdrawn for a while. When we first enter into reunion, a door opens into a world and life we could have had. It's our alternate universe, and it can be mind blowing. It can be difficult to focus on much else.
Just know that, usually, with time, things settle out and our emotions tend to stabilize.
I'm sure Dickons will give you some good resources for you and your husband to read.
Hi! I am also married to an adoptee though the situation is somewhat reversed. He always knew he was adopted, found his bmom, really wanted to meet her and she would not meet him (he was a secret). But I remember it being a very intense time and feeling like I was not being as supportive as I could. But the reality is is that he had to deal with it in his own way (he is not a big pontificator...more of an is what it is type). To be honest, it was intense then but since there is nothing to "do," now not so much. All this to say, I am sure he appreciates your support but he needs to figure it out in his own fashion because it is just really unique to him. Feel free to pm me if you want...it is sort of a weird situation to be in. Good luck to both of you!
Sdinning
My husband is adopted. He found out at 32 and for the last 15 years has toyed with the idea of looking for his birth family off and on. Very brief background info is that his birth mother was his birth father's secretary and he was married with teenage daughters when my husband was born. Court records show that neither one told their respective families about the pregnancy. we put a post up in 2013 on ancestry.com looking for the birth father, thinking where else to try but a family history site. Dec 2014 we had a response from a woman who turned out to be my husband's niece. She in turn relayed the news to her mother, my husband's older half sister. Both this niece and sister have been very welcoming and eager to get to know the newest member of the family. the second biggest shock of all was finding out that the birth mother remained a close family friend for more than 40 years. It was suspected that the two were more than friendly but nothing ever was confirmed until last month. The biggest shick was learning that my husband's half sister had current contact details for his birth mother. She phoned the mother, told her they'd made contact with the son. Birth mother asked to have her details given to her son as she wanted to speak to him. My husband phoned his birth mother. Conversation went well, they even talked about the possibility of meeting up in the long term as she would like to meet him.
The problem is that I'm now in the difficult position of trying to help him deal with the emotional roller coaster that this has become. He tells me that he has no idea what he's feeling, no way of putting it into words and I don't know what to do to help. I try to talk to him, but it seems like all I do is say the wrong thing. He has a horrible habit of creating scenarios which don't exist and getting worked up about them, which I just don't understand. Tonight he admitted he'd had a huge mental argument with her about something. I don't understand why energy would be wasted on inventing a scenario when the real ones to hand can't/haven't been addressed. Is this some kind of coping mechanism?
I'm really struggling to know how to be supportive. I'm willing to talk about everything at any time but am constantly told " I don't know". I'm finding myself losing patience with his need to withdraw from everything, the inability to perform a simple task like making a cup of tea, and the constant excuses of sorry, my head's up my bum over all that's happened. I understand a lot has happened, but I don't understand why stopping everything, stopping living, is in any way a way to deal with these emotions and the shock.
I understand that this has all been so sudden and a shock for him but I have no idea what to do. I can only understand what he's going through by what he tells me which is next to nothing. If anyone has any advice I could really use some. I'm feeling completely lost and out of my depth, and I know he's feeling worse than that. What can I say or do that will help?
This is what I think from the info given take everything I say with a liberal helping of salt ֖ only you know your husband.
15 years ago your husband had his world rocked finding out he was adopted. Finding that out may have answered some questions he had about stuff that didnt fit. It could also have changed how he felt about having inherited ____ from his beloved _______. He probably felt some level of betrayal at never being told. By your account he seems to have adjusted to the shocking (or not really a shock, but answers instead) pretty well. Toyed with the idea of looking is a pretty good descriptor of what many adopteeҒs do before making the decision to search. I think it is more of series of processing being emotionally ready in small doses - both the fear of the unknown, against the need to know your story. It is also being worried about upsetting the apple cart for lack of a better term who wants to cause problems for anyone, especially your mother and/or father by birth, combined with the knowledge that back then we knew that people got married before they had kids, anything else was wrong.
Your husband has now made contact, and he֒s right that there are no words to describe the feelings he has. The best way to understand what hes feeling or at least the types of emotions inside is to do an exercise. Strip away your adult self, and go back to high school and think of the crush you had on your very first boyfriend, you couldnҒt do anything except think of him, worry that he wouldnt see you as _____, your self-esteem was tied to whether he called you, how he saw you. The emotions in reunion are not those boy-girl crush emotions, yet they are the same in the way of stripping everything else from your consciousness, even if you donҒt want them too. You are so very vulnerable. You may try to put your thoughts away, but bam they are back again when you least expect it, you can be watching TV and your mind decides this is more important to think about right now, and when you come back to the show youve missed the plotline. You do have imaginary conversations Җ if you have them, youd call them daydreams, his daydream turned into a nightmare conversation, my guess is because heҒs scared that will be how that particular conversation (answer to his question) goes.
The biggest problem I see in your husbands story is that his story is not the typical adoption story from our era, boy meets girl, they donҒt wait for marriage, she finds out shes pregnant. Boy and girl donҒt get married, instead her family says she went to visit relatives, or away to school, and comes home after she had the baby and no one ever knows anything different. Now compare that story with his story. His mother by birth had an affair with a married man. His father by birth had an affair when he was married and a father to teenagers. That would be a hard pill to swallow compared to the story of two young people in love but not ready to get married. Both his parents were adults who had an affair and it was apparently a long-lasting relationship. I would imagine he has to figure out how to square any feelings or beliefs about people who have affairs, and them being his parents by birth, and that he was the product of that affair. Thats a lot of processing to come to peace with that added dimension in his story.
I donҒt know your relationship, your personalities, how you normally deal with changes in your life together. All I can say is that my husband gave me space. He didnt try to fix anything, or help me process it. He just let me be to stew. He didnҒt expect me to do anything other than what I needed to do at that moment, he picked up any slack caused by my processing. It took months and months. Sometimes Id be back to normal, other days not so much. He didnҒt interfere, I tried to be there in the moment when I could, I didnt apologize for needing my space, he didnҒt expect it. Im also going to say this as gently as I can Җ some wives become jealous. If you are jealous you need to work through those feelings and understand they are going to make things worse. You have no reason to be jealous that he needs to work through these incredibly mind-blowing emotions that are hitting him like a mack truck.
I couldnt find anything for you to read that would make it all make sense. I think that you would benefit from reading The Girls Who Went Away by Ann Fessler. I also think reading some memoirs by adoptees may help, I havenҒt read any so cant tell you what would be best. I think if you read some you may be able to pick out what you see your husband going through and it will help you find peace with not being a partner in what he is processing. Read the link below to get an idea of the types of memoirs out there and then go find some that are written by adoptees - not adoptive parents.
[url]http://www.mit.edu/~shaslang/ASAC2010/papers/NovySAAWM.pdf[/url]
[url=http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/?dref=18933%2C751%2C8566%2C8751]Adoptees & Orphans - Biography, Family Memoirs - Biography, General & Miscellaneous Biography, Biography | Barnes & Noble[/url]
Kind regards,
Dickons
Brand new website - Adoptee Reading Resources link below.
[url=http://adopteereading.com/]Adoptee Reading Resource | Books Written & Recommended By Adoptees[/url]
Kind regards,
Dickons
Advertisements