Advertisements
Advertisements
i think it depends on the drugs. In her first 3 months, J's mom regularly did pot, coke, nicotine, but the worst for her body was the alcohol
Advertisements
Thanks she did the same with her first boy. I'm not sure if it's just Narco or other pain killers. She been admitted in the hospital a few times for pain, but she doesn't refuses drugs. Her first son seemed to have sensitivity problems. I just wonder if her meds have any thing to do with his sensitivity issues and other issues. He overly smart, but seems to lack feelings for others. That might be an age issue (6 years old) Now she's pregnant again, so I'm just wondering.
Drugs and alcohol, outside of the obvious chemical effects on developing organs and tissues, also have a negative impact on a developing fetus's brain. A fetus can feel pain and is affected by the mental state of the mother. If a mother is afraid or angry, if the mother uses drugs or is abused herself or if the pregnancy is unwanted, the child can feel afraid, setting up brain patterns that persist after birth. In essence, the child, even in-utero, learns that the world is a dangerous place and that they cannot depend on anyone else for their safety and must take care of themselves, because Mom can't be trusted. What results is a brain that is focused on self preservation (constant fight or flight mode) and thus the parts of the brain such as the brainstem and the cerebellum become dominant and the emotional and physical input processing (Limbic) and reasoning (Cortex) parts of the brain become disused and their function and capacity decrease. This leaves the child in a place where they do not trust anyone and their brain is overwhelmed with feelings of fear and anxiety. They also cannot process stimuli properly and respond to normal lifes events in strange ways. They feel that controlling people or, being unsuccessful in that, keeping people away is the only way to be (feel) safe. This is why attachment is very difficult for these children and their parents. Fortunately, very often these effects can be reversed. There are 4 videos by Dr. Bruce Perry called "The seven slide series" that provide some insight into this. Here is a link to the first one: [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOsgDkeH52o[/url] Relationships and targeted physical activities can help the brain rebuild it's neuropathways and activate the higher functions of the brain and ultimately heal. BUT, the treatment is difficult as it takes some time and the children typically have unacceptable behavior. In addition, the parenting style is not intuitive in our society and punishment causes more problems as it increases fear and anxiety. If the parent understands the issues, an infant and newborn can be helped to trust by the mother handling and treating the child in a way that maximizes security and bonding. Holding the child facing her so that the child can see her face, a lot of skin to skin contact, only smiles and cooing, a quick response to needs such as feeding, diaper changes, etc. Minimizing the passing around of the child or leaving the child in an environment where there is no touch for hours also is important. "Felt Safety" and the understanding that Mom - the primary caregiver - is strong enough to take care of them is what helps them heal. This article, though written with teachers in mind, covers a lot of this. [url=http://teacher.scholastic.com/professional/bruceperry/attachment.htm]Attachment: The First Core Strength[/url]
[url=http://adoption.com/do-i-have-fetal-alcohol-effects]Do I Have Fetal Alcohol Effects? | Adoption.com[/url]
An article on my journey
Found out she been doing Narco and pot this entire pregnancy. I hope nothing else. I imagine the pot use was to get high. I hope the baby doesn't suffer over this. It's not fair.
Advertisements