Advertisements
Advertisements
I hate to bore everyone with my story, but I really could use some positive encouragement from others who can relate. Not even encouragement, maybe just someone to understand.
I am a a young adult female having something sort of like a quarter life crisis. No particular reason, I do well for myself financially, have an amazing Fiance and family, and small group of friends who love me. I was adopted by my parents when I was 3 days old, and it was a closed adoption. I found out when I was very young, perhaps too young to understand. If I remember, I was between the ages of 7-9 when my mother told me. (My father and I, to this day, have never spoken of it.) It didn't really affect me then, and I never really thought about it. My parents who raised me ARE my parents, and that is that. I didn't have negative perceptions of my birth mother, and still don't. I realize she did this because she couldn't care for me, and that's certainly understandable. My adoptive parents are amazing and have done everything they can to ensure I've had a wonderful and stable life. I owe them everything, and I love them more than words can describe. My father and I have a very close relationship and always have. My mother and I are close now, but growing up we disagreed and argued quite a bit, if not a majority of the time. Anytime we got into an argument, she would ask me if I wanted to meet, or wished I was with my birth mother. I never understood why she brought it up so much, I consistently assured her I don't even think about my birth mother. I believe she was, and is still, very sensitive about the subject.
Now, as I get older I am starting to get very, very curious. Too curious for my own good? I don't even know if I would refer to it simply as curious, as it seems to cross my mind more often now than not. I believe I started wondering when I was about 17, so 7 years ago. I was in my mothers closet looking for a purse to borrow for the evening that matched my outfit. While browsing I noticed the edge of a strange, cloth covered photo album on the top shelf. Far too nebby, I took it down and opened it. As soon as I opened the first page, I didn't even need to read it, I started crying, hard. I knew what it was. It was a book from my birth mother, the first page being a letter from her (including only her first name) explaining why she gave me up. She was young, and my father didn't want anything to do with it. The rest of the book was filled with pictures of her from birth until she was pregnant with me, as well as photos of my biological family members, aunts and grandparents. There were also poems in there, and some things she had knitted for me. I went over it multiple times then put it back, and to this day I have never mentioned a word of it.
I am now 24 years old and I am wondering more and more about things. Of course I understand why my birth mother gave me up, and of course I have no ill feelings towards her. Especially since I have such an amazing family. (Here's a tid bit -- my aunt told me that when I was adopted, my birth mother had 3 family profiles to choose from. It was said that my birth mother had them laying in front of her with the photos on the outside of the folders. From what I was told, she looked at the photos first and pointed immediately at my father. "That's him, that's the man that's going to raise my daughter." The rest is history, it brings tears to my eyes thinking of how much I love and respect my adoptive father. Isn't that wild?) So, I certainly am not angry with my birth mother. I am simply curious of a few things...Would she be proud of me now? What does she look like now? Do I have biological brothers or sisters? Does she ever think about me? I guess, typical.
Here's my problem: My mother is SO sensitive about the subject, I am far too scared to ask her if she would be mad if I attempted to find my birth mother. In her eyes, it would be a slap in the face since she raised me and loved me as her own. I don't understand why when an adopted child has questions, it has to seem like I am ungrateful or unhappy with my life? Even if I didn't want to attempt to find my birth mother, I can't even ask questions without her shutting down. My father, I would be scared to even mention it to because I would never EVER want to direspect him or upset him since, as previously mentioned, spoken of this once. I'm not even sure I DO want to find my birth mother, she probably doesn't want me to. I am sure by now she has moved on in life. I just have certain questions only my adoptive parents can answer, and I'm too ashamed to ask.
When my Fiance and I talk about this, he listens well but he doesn't understand why I care so much about my birth mother when my adoptive parents are so wonderful. My friends are the same. The exact words from one of my friends last night after a lengthy message explaining my sadness was, "Let it go."
I am not seeking advice, just maybe some words from someone who can relate. I am tired of people just gawking at me when I tell them it feels weird to now know who created me. After all, I wouldn't be here without her... Is it wrong for me to think about my birth mother so much? I really wish I could meet her, but I would by law have to go through the court system to request permission for her name. Guess who is the Judge in that court system? My adoptive father. So, until I find the courage to ask him, I'll remain curious. Just wish I didn't always feel guilty for wanting some type of closure. It has really, really been affecting me lately.
Thanks for letting me vent!
You should NOT be ashamed, you are being perfectly normal. It's human nature to be curious, where would we be as a civilized society if no one had ever been curious. Would we have cars, probably not, because no one was curious enough to figure out that wheels could make moving things easier than pulling them, or thought about what could make them power themselves instead of horses. Would we eat pineapple if no one had ever been curious enough to cut one, taste it. Those are silly examples but look around you - who was curious enough to create the cell phone, the ipod, itunes, vaccines, windows, libraries, ball-point pens - everything you touch was created by someone who was curious.
It is also normal, natural to want to know where you came from, if you have siblings, what traits you have that you got from them. Perfectly normal.
You are also not the first adoptee to be curious - there are tens of thousands and probably hundreds of thousands of adoptees who were and are curious - I am one who always wanted to know...
And wanting to know, even having a relationship with your family of birth -> takes zero away from your family by adoption because love is pretty magical thing, it really is -> love is limitless, you never run out of being able to love someone. Loving your fiancé has not reduced how you love your mom and dad has it? That's the magic of love...the more you love the more you have to give.
Your mom is scared. I'm going to say this as gently as I can, she's the adult, it's something only she can work on. You can reassure her, ensure she doesn't feel slighted, but it is up to her to work through her fears - whatever they may be. You can't fix her, you can only be who you are. You aren't the only adoptee who has had to deal with an insecure parent, so many have dealt with the same issues and many more will in the future. At the end of the day - only you can know and do what is right for you...some have chosen to keep the two parts of their lives separate - it doesn't sound though like you'd be able to do that - although, if you do go forward you can keep the details separate.
You say your dad has never mentioned adoption - he's also a judge. He's who I'd talk to first if I was in your shoes - he can help...just ask him to lunch and then get your nerve up and say - can we talk about my being adopted...
You didn't mention what state you were born in - but several states have changed the laws since you were adopted - you may be able to just order your original birth certificate instead of going to court - if you aren't sure - google State+adoptee+original birth certificate and you should come to the state adoption information.
Kind regards,
Dickons
Advertisements
Being a birth mom who was just reunited with her son after 36 years, I would ask yourself what do you want to gain from finding your birth mother. I always wanted to find my son, and I thought that when I did it would be a joyous event and we would live happily ever after. Happily ever after turned into a reunion from hell. No one tells you that you both are going to have these intense emotions that seep out of your unconscious and turns what was suppose to be a happy event into a emotional roller coaster ride. No one tells you that your child is in pain and had been emotionally damaged by adoption. My son was like you. He said he had the best parents that a person could ever have. He said he had a very happy life. He said all he wanted to do when he found me was to thank me for giving him to such a wonderful family.
If this is true then why does he have such anger and rage because he was adopted. Why can he not accept love and dissapears every time we get close. Why does he do drugs to mask the pain he is feeling. Why does he think lying is ok.Why does he have almost every adoption issue I have read about if he was a happy adoptee.
So all I am say to you is please read as much as you can about adoption reunions before you go looking for your mother. I have a psychology degree, I work with special needs children, and I have studied everything I can get my hands on about adoption and adoption reunions and I was still not prepared for the reunion process.
So if you want to thank her for giving you to a great family, send a thank you card. If you want medical information, send her a letter asking for medical information. If you want to see what she looks like, she is probably on Facebook.
The only reason an adoptee should find his or her birth mother is if he or she is willing to consider a relationship with her and be willing to work through a lot of pain together.
Good luck to you.
I want to thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to respond to my thread. I really, really appreciate the feedback, lgnanny. You kind of opened my eyes a bit to the possibilities I may not have considered before. Perhaps she would be uncomfortable with meeting me, perhaps once meeting her and seeing how her life turned out would upset me. There are so many different scenarios to be considered that makes it difficult to either pursue, or not. May I just let you know, your son sounds A LOT like my brother, who is also adopted. He takes the same path ways in life and I will never understand why. The thing is, and you are evidently far more educated in Psychology than I, but it sounds like something has happened in his life to make him that way, and he uses the adoption as an excuse for the source of his mental pain, maybe because he's not sure of the actual source. My brother does this quite frequently. But, I am no expert and I am sorry things didn't turn out as planned for you. If you ever want to talk to me, please let me know as I would be more than happy to provide insight on the other end! Once again, thank you for taking the time to respond to me!
Dickons -- Thank you so much for the advice! I live in PA so if I am not mistaken, I would have to go through the original Judge who handled the adoption and request my mothers name, to which she can approve or deny. That Judge just so happens to be a very close friend of my father. I did mention it to him, lightly, the other day and I received a one-word answer. He's not going to be willing to speak to me in regards to this, presumably. So, I am at a stand still and if I decide to pursue meeting her, I highly doubt he will be of any assistance, which is fine. As for my mother, she is starting to open up more about it but I KNOW she will only use it to make me feel guilty. She loves to make me feel ungrateful, and always has. It's a shame, really, but what can you do? :) THANK you for responding, I really really appreciate it!