Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello all,
My wife and I have been heading down the road of adoption through our state's foster care system. We are very excited because we have received a call about a set of siblings which seem to be a potential match. We will soon be meeting with their case worker to have what they are calling a child presentation. At that point we will presumably learn all they are able to tell us about the children and begin to determine whether they will be a good fit for our family. For those out there who have gone through this before, we are wondering what sort of questions you wished you asked at the time of a child presentation? I know it will likely be a somewhat of an emotional day and we would like to be as prepared as we can in regards to questions and expectations. If that has been asked before I apologize as I could not effectively find anything in the previous threads. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Honestly, there is nothing definitive about adoption. However, ask how many placements they've had. The more placements, the more trauma they suffered. Are any members of the birth family in the picture? This can be a pro and a con. You can ask why they're in care but you may not get the whole picture. Ask if they've been in any type of therapy. Ask if they're on target or if they're delayed. They may need extra resources. That's all I've got for now. Good luck!
Advertisements
How long have they been in care?
Why did they come into care?
Is there a plan for contact with their biological parents?
Are they currently in school? Are any of them currently on an IEP?
Do any of them have any medical/psychological diagnoses?
Do they have any behavior problems?
Are they taking any medications?
Are they currently in counseling/other services?
Is there a history of sexual abuse?
Are any of the children sexually active?
Are there any special dietary needs?