Advertisements
Advertisements
So the benefits of a child being raised by a family rather than in an institution have been well-documented. But sometimes you'll hear about people who have adopted 20, 30, 40, or even more children. This is very commendable, but I have to wonder if these families are still offering the benefits of family life over institutional life. They very well may, but I don't know for sure. So now I'm curious . . . what is it about family life specifically that is beneficial to kids? Is it simply stability and consistent caregivers? Or is there something more?
I think situations like this are definitely a mixed bag. While there are good things to be said for consistent caregivers and a mother and father figure, as well as relationships with siblings, having that many children is somewhat like a group home situation. I still believe that it's somewhat better than a group home, though. There is something to be said for even just being able to call yourself part of a family.
Advertisements
It raises hard questions for potential adoptive parents, I think. Yes, any stable family is better than no family, or an abusive family, but some stable families are better than others. So the question can become - Is my home what's best for this child? Will they find something more ideal if I don't adopt them? Or will they languish in foster care without a family at all if I don't adopt them?
I definitely get the desire to just take in every child that needs a home, but you do bring up a good point. If a child were to adopted into a smaller family and therefore get the more individualized attention they need, it could be a better situation. It's hard though if you don't have a way of knowing if that would happen for them or not.