Advertisements
Advertisements
We already have children in the home (bio & adopted) but could take up to 2 placements and are ready to move forward as a foster-to-adopt home (even if it means never adopting). Our youngest is in 3rd grade now and we thought the timing would be good, however, obviously not old enough to be left without childcare, and we have kids' school/sports obligations.
My question pertains to the required hours of training for foster-to-adopt. We need an agency that will work with the greater Houston area and that will have more flexible training hours, maybe weekend, maybe the most online possible? We really like one private agency but live NO where near the office. Coming from our rural area it took me nearly 2 hours in traffic to get there on a weekday evening just for the info meeting. When we found out we would spend about 5 to 6 weeks going there on weeknights twice a week, it was disheartening. I would basically need a part-time nanny to pick my kids up from school, help with homework, feed them, shuttle them around and get them in bed by a decent hour two schooldays per week. That or wait all the way until next summer.
We plan to speak with the agency regarding whether there is any flexibility in location/days/times of trainings, but just wondering if there are other ways to get all the required hours? TIA!
I'm not aware of any agency (state or private) that provides training online (If I am wrong, please post!) -- because in my experience, the training is in place for two reasons -- to assess your emotional fitness to provide care based on 'book knowledge' -- but also, to assess your emotional fitness to provide care, based on physical interaction between a family and an instructor.
Many instructors are quietly assessing the potential parents in the class to determine if they believe that that fostering or foster to adopt is 'right' for them.
Are you in Harris County? Do they only offer the class in the Greater Houston area? Houston is HUGE -- is there an area outside of Houston Proper where the classes are offered?
Unfortunately, working the classes (and being resourceful) is also part of the 'assessment' -- its possible that you'll be shuttling placements to and from visits, medical appointments, physical therapy, etc -- which WILL impact your children.
You might also be able to work out an arrangement where you attend the courses while your husband stays home to take care of the kids -- then during the next class rotation, your husband attends while you stay home to care for the kids.
It would never hurt to ask and I encourage you to reach out to the social workers and ask them to help you find a solution to the problem you're facing!
Advertisements
Are you in Harris County? Do they only offer the class in the Greater Houston area? Houston is HUGE -- is there an area outside of Houston Proper where the classes are offered?
Ultimately no this is the main problem I'm seeking info on. We are in an out-lying rural area. The classes we were told about were only on weeknights. Even daytime hours on weekdays would be better but we were told they cancelled theirs because no one attended. We were also told they prefer both spouses to attend together although it isn't mandatory (we would also prefer it though for discussion purposes). I just don't know if this is true of all agencies. We plan to speak with them; if it doesn't work out, looks like we will have to skip the private agency and go directly through the state which from what I've seen does offer some trainings outside the city.