Advertisements
Advertisements
I was reunited with my Birthparents last March. On February 18, 2017 (exactly my 50 and half birthday) I found out the true identity of my birth mother. I was also very shocked to learn that she married my birth father and I have 3 biological siblings that didn’t know I existed. In that moment i felt such pain that i was forgotten and left behind. I was prepared for and only ever focused on a young birth mother of 15 or 16 and maybe some half siblings . Finding my birth father and getting to know his family was so far off my radar. I found out my birth mother went to the same high school as my mom but was 6 years younger. I found out she was 18 and he was 19 and they married 3 years later. The siblings were told a week after we had our first conversation and we made plans to meet. The reunion went amazing and everyone accepted me with open arms. For the first time in my life i felt COMPLETE and so happy. We started making new memories with family trips and lots of phone conversations since we all lived in different states. My birth mother welcome me with open arms but it took her some time to open up about my birth story. I waited patiently and slowly her story, his story and my birth story came out. It was painful to hear he didn’t come to the hospital, she was all alone, their parents swept by birth (the shame) “under the rug”, they never spoke of my existance ever again but thought about me every day of their lives. I get it, it was the 60’s, I probably would have done the same thing but it’s painful and I sometimes feel like I’m on an island trying to figure this out. I think it’s rare for couples to stay together after the “pregnancy crisis” but in some ways i feel like it bonded my birth parents together because of it. Does anyone have a similar story? I feel like I’m all alone sometimes as my husband and children don’t understand what I’m going through. I am so blessed but it’s amazing to look back at your 50 years of life and see how it could have been all different.