Advertisements
Advertisements
I'm planning to adopt a child at least 5 years down the road. That'll put me in my mid-to-late twenties. I've read plenty of blog articles on what to expect during the process itself, but I'd like to know what I need to start thinking about right now.
Basically, I'd like it if current adoptive parents would do if they had this time to prep for the adoption of their first child.
Little background on me: I'm a single woman who is planning to stay single unless I "magically" find "the One". (I highly doubt that'll happen, but you can't predict life.) I have a strong support system in my hometown consisting of immediate and extended family as well as my church. I'll probably return there once the time comes. I'm not expecting to be incredibly wealthy at that point, but I know I won't adopt if it's not financially feasible. I'm planning to foster-to-adopt. I don't care about the child's race or gender.
I am one of those who adopted one of the poor kids in the foster system. There were not thousands of parents waiting to adopt my daughter. She required very specialized parenting due to her severe special needs. I have the ability to take in a special needs child and the desire to do so.
Adoption isn't about finding a child for the parents, its about finding the best parents for the child.
Advertisements
Learn all you can about trauma. Find out if there are any trauma and/or loss therapists in your area.
Thank you, Jon Walter and Millie58.
I hadn't actually thought of researching trauma in-depth, but it makes so much sense to do so.
Thanks, again!
Any other tips/advice are still welcome, of course!