Advertisements
Advertisements
I am looking for some help / guidance from someone who has been in our situation.
My wife and I have had guardianship of our 5 year old niece for the past 2 years. We are at the end stages of adopting her (uncontested). In the beginning it was rough when we first brought her into our home, we have finally got to a point where she is well adjusted, happy, doing well in school etc...etc.
We just received a call that my mother in law who is taking care of her 15 year old biological brother, is going to contact CPS to figure out how to basically "get rid" of the 15 y/o because she cannot handle him. The 15 year old has behavioral issues, does poorly in school and from what I can tell has ADHD and has been medicated for almost his whole life.
My wife and I are literally the only responsible people in the entire family and everyone is looking to us to be the "saviors". I am extremely concerned about bringing him into our household and potentially disrupting the positive momentum we have gained with out daughter.
Does anyone know of programs that are available that we could slowly transition him into our home while we all go though therapy as a family, because the way he is currently living with his grandmother is NOT going to be the way he conducts himself in our home.
Has anyone been faced with this choice and said NO to bringing a family member into their home when you were the last option for the child before they become a ward of the state?