Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I can understand that. I think that’s why I chose to do ancestry. I wanted to know. The only thing is, I had to be in a place to deal with the ugly truth. Everyone isn’t ready for that part. It’s definitely hard especially since we didn’t ask for any of it.
Thanks for your story.
In my case I think they hid the truth from me to protect the birth parents and adoptive parents, not to protect my feelings. Personally, I'm still really angry that i was lied to for so long. At least you were told when you were 18 and not middle aged like me. I can understand if birth parents were teens or something wanting to keep it a secret for the first few years, but not forever. And the adoptive parents don't really have an excuse to me, so IMO don't be overly protective of your adoptive parents.
I do think it's a horrible sin of the USA to keep adoption information from the person that was adopted. Especially in the case of not knowing about the adoption to begin with, or where the adoption occurred, since I'm guessing it often happens out of state from where your birth certificate says. You'd think the govt would at least tell the person they were adopted and basic history. I get it that there are reasons like teen pregnancy, addiction, etc that would cause an adoption so i don't want contact. That's not a good enough reason to hide my history from me.