Advertisements
Advertisements
So I'm at a complete loss.... for almost 8 years I've been with a man, and loved his daughter unconditionally. A few years ago, a stranger appeared saying he was very sick and before he passed, he wanted to know if our little girl was his. The paternity test was positive. My husband has JUST (this month) had his FELONY warrant for child support dissolved. It wasn't supposed to be extinguished until he made a lump sum payment of $1,000, but his caseworker handled it personally, thanks to 2 years of full payment every month. And that's $400 a month for 2 years. Since discovery of her biological father and getting to know his family, and maintaining a relationship after his passing, 10 months after their meeting, our sweet girl has decided she doesn't want to be a part of our family anymore, and pr hearts are broken. My husband still owes $26,000 in arrears, and she doesn't want to see us, speak to us, anything. She's not biologically his, and wants her mother's husband to adopt her. We don't want to sign off rights, but the child support payments of $400 a month are suffocating us. We have 4 children together also, and I'm conflicted on how to approach him with the fact that it may be time to let her have her way, and I'm also not sure if we'll be forced to pay back his arrears. I know biological parents are held responsible for arrears accumulate before parental right termination, but what about when they're not the biological parent, and the child has been supported by the step parent adopting her since she was born? Her mother left my husband when she was pregnant and has been with this man since.