Advertisements
Advertisements
I have autism, and will likely have a psychiatric service dog for this when I am financially able to foster/adopt (I am currently 20, likely won't apply to foster until I'm out of school and have a stable job).
Basically, autism affects my ability to stay outside of "safe" places for a while without another person there to deliver pressure to reduce the issue, however my doctor recently suggested a service dog to perform DPT when this does happen if other attempts to try to prevent this fail. There are a few other tasks the dog will do, but this is the one I am worried affects my ability to foster a child. I do not become violent ever, and am currently able to watch children on my own.
I've wanted to foster or possibly adopt a child since I was younger, and believe I still will when I am older. My doctor suggesting a service dog has, however, made me wonder if this is feasible... will they automatically deny me because the dog is there to help with a symptom, or would they look into the specific way my disability affects me?
Sorry for the question, I was recently researching fostering children and the thought occurred to me that it might not be possible.