Advertisements
Advertisements
I'll try to keep this short. My wife's great nice was removed from the custody of her biological mother at 5 months old but we were not told about it until she was 10 months old at which point we worked on getting setup as foster parents. We were granted custody right before her 1st birthday and adopter her right after her 2nd birthday. During the 18 months she was in foster care her biological mother only made it to 2 in-person visitations and a handful of virtual. She never reached out to see how her daughter was doing just asking for pictures to post on social media. We have had no contact with since the adoption and it doesn't seem like that will change in the future. We are having issues with my wife's sister wanting to be called Nana which is what the rest of her grandchildren call her. We have always been Momma and Dada to our daughter and my parents and my wife's parents have their grandparent names. We tried talking to my sister-in-law to explain that we would be open with our daughter and tell her "her story" when she was ready, but we don't want to add any confusion by having our daughter call my sister-in-law by her grandparent name. We asked her to pick out a special name she would like to be called that was different than Nana but not necessarily "Aunt Sue". This way when our daughter was ready to hear her story we could explain why my sister-in-law has a special name. She's flat out refused to do this and my wife and I are at a loss...any help or suggestions would be welcome.