Advertisements
Advertisements
My husband and I have taken in two foster kids from the state of AZ. We live in Il. We were given AZ medical cards for the kids, but they don't work in Il. I can not find a doctor that will accept the cards. Our case manager had us apply for an Il card at the Department of Public Aid. Public Aid told us that they can't gaurantee that the kids will qualify for cards and they are Title 4 E eligible. I was under the impression that foster kids automatically qualify for medical, dental, and vision care. Were we wrong? We were also told that it may take up to 60 days before we find out if the kids do qualify. The two kids are already at our home in IL and have no medical coverage. How are we suppose to get Il school physicals within the reqiured 30 days for new students from out of state? Who is going to pay the doctors bill, if one of the kids get sick before getting the cards.(if we even get them) If you have had this happen to you, what did you do?
This is what I had to do 6 years ago for my daughter when I got her from Texas. I went to the Social Security Office told them that the agency in Texas was her conservator but that I had been given legal authority by the State of Texas to have the child reside in my state (Michigan). They set her up for Medicaid in my state. They will need her social security number and they just transfer the title IV to your state. Do not take no for an answer, they will try to make you think you are nuts, I told them I worked for the Government and I know what they can and can't do and it was done no more then 5 minutes later.
Advertisements
Thank you. I will go to the social security office today with the legal papers in hand. I am learning quickly that I need to do things myself if I want to get anything done. I thought that the dcfs case manager was supposed to take care of those things for us.Sometimes it's like pulling teeth to get an answer. I am very happy that I found this forum. I am learning all kinds of stuff by reading threads of others who have been around the block a few times.
Gingerlane,
Did it work? Did you take their social security cards to the SS office to transfer their Title IVE status and get them Medicaid cards?