Advertisements
Advertisements
Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can tell my boss that my husband and I are pursuing adoption? I work for a good company that offers 12 weeks of maternity leave for adoptive parents. They also offer a reimbursement of up to 2000. I want to take advantage of both of these services so I think I should let her know what I am doing. Any thoughts at all as to what to say, how to say it, and when to say it? :confused: Should I wait until we get closer to a match? We're planning on doing our homestudy in late December, early January.
All advice is welcomed.
Thanks
Hi everyone!
I actually told my boss at the beginning of classes. Kelli, as you know Bethany placements can happen very quickly and I wanted to be prepared.
I work for a large international company in the legal department as a manager so I wanted to give ample notice so I don't get any crazy looks when I make the announcement.
My boss (male) has one daughter who is adopted so that was a BIG plus and made it easier to tell him. He was very supportive. Unfortunately he is retiring in Feb 2003 and I don't know who is predecessor will be. I pray we place before then.
Advertisements
Thank you ladies that was really good advise. I think I will wait until the homestudy is done. We just lost our 4th baby in September and I was 4 months along. My boss and I were (she still is) pregnant at the same time so I think she will be sympatric and understanding. She is going on maternity leave in January for 3 months. I don't think that any thing will happen that fast. Like I said we will be doing our homestudy at the end of December the beginning of January and from what I've read that can take a couple of months.
I like the idea of telling her at the beginning of classes. Are those done after the homestudy is complete?
My placement was through state agency. I informed my boss (who is located in different state) of my pending adoption upon notifying state agency of my desire to move forward with adoptive placement.
As part of the transition plan, workplace scheduling was inclusive. To my surprise, my boss indicated he was adopted at age 5 and further divulged his youngest son was adopted. Therefore, he was very understanding and provided insight to his own placement, feelings, and those of his 8 year old son.
I was able to take 6 weeks leave using combination of vacation and FMLA when my 2 year old was placed. I even requested for the adoption to remain confident until the adoption was finalized.
mzsumthing
You might want to check the dates on the threads. This thread is from 2002 and not active. The OP probably has a 4 year old by now.