Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Hello, my name James Hess! I am an adoptee born July 16, 1969 at St Francis Hospital. My birth mother came from St Elizabeth's. The name on the Vital Stats document of my mother is Janet Custis. Apparently, I was named on the document as Mark Custis. My adopted parents told me I was 6 weeks old when they got me. My parents were NJ residents at the time and went through Catholic Charities Trenton, NJ.
I'm a birth mother and I was there in 1969. It was a "home for unwed mothers" that was something like a cross between a college dorm and a reformatory. We had to use aliases for our last name.
There were also three nurseries in the building with babies waiting to be adopted. If I remember correctly the capacity was about 8 babies per nursery. Some of them were babies born to mothers in the home, some weren't. I don't know what the rules were then. I know one girl I was in with was from Louisiana, and when her baby was born it was sent out of the nursery within a day or two. My son stayed there for a month because of NJ law -- something I didn't find out until the month was up and they called me to sign the papers.
If you have any specific questions I'll answer them if I can.