Advertisements
Advertisements
I grew up with a Dominican dad, Domincan Republic, who is black, (like Sammy Sosa) and a mom who is a blond southern girl! I think it helps kids understand different cultures better. Being around some people are prejudice helped me put up with alot of differences between my parents. For example, my dad had to wash his hair with the what is seen as "the black peoples shampoo", where as my mom didn't. I think I personally have more traditons then anyone that isn't biracial.
Ry
Sounds like you have a really healthy sense of self, thats great! We are raising our 3 adopted children (who are non white) in a mostly white community and trying to instill a sense of who they are and how they fit into the world. Our oldest daughter is multiracial and identifies herself as "white with a really good tan" but acknowledges that the baby sisters are "black." How do we prepare her for prejudice that she may run into eventually? She is frequently around other black children and exposed to the culture.
DDJ
Advertisements
you should be proud of where you came from in this sometimes ignorant, world. my daughter is mixed and to this day she still gets the stares. i feel all children are beautiful, but being biracial you get to have the best of both worlds. good luck to you , but i really don't think u need the luck because you have everything going for you. inner peace is a wonderful thing!!!!!!!!:) :) :)
Thanks! As for DDJ, I don't know how old your oldest is, but my parents always said we were the best because we were like oreos (they were our fave cookies...) and they said that is was okay. As for the prejudice she will have to deal with, you just have to make sure she knows that she is just as important to the society, and no one can make her any less then she does. GOOD LUCK! Also, tell her that she does have oreo siblings! J/K
Ry
yeah im biracial and i hate it! there are very few black people in our community and even less in my church adn school. It makes it really hard, my self esteem is really low, alot of my friends say they want my tan skin and some make fun of me and i get smart remarks like im an oreo i just laugh with them but im really hurt inside! or i get teh stares when i am with my afamily because i look nothing like them adn it is embarrassing as hell! i really just wish i could be a normal kid that wasnt biracial (actually it might as well be black bc thats what it looks like) or even better not be adopted! No one really understands what its like to be me for one day at my stupid school! I would love to switch bodies for one day with anyone who was normal!
Dear Air:
It makes me sad to read your post. I'm the African American mother of three bi-racial children. One step, One Bio and one Adopted. What is normal? Normal is a person who is healthy, whole and is breathing on a day to day basis. Feel proud of who you are. There is no such thing as an all any kind of person. We all are mixed with something and some of it shows and some of it doesn't. Being bi-racial or bi-cultural gives you the best of two worlds what ever those worlds are. My children are part African and Dutch, African American and Dutch and Afro and Native Brazilian. What a joy it is to embrace those cultures and traditions and just go out into the world and make it the best world for you it can be.
When others put you down or use the term Oreo they are showing their ignorance. People roast in the sun at the risk of skin cancer for brown skin............if yours is brown wear it proud because it is just one small part of who you are.
Go with God!!!!!! and be proud
SSV
Advertisements
There is a great womens\moms group that is just for birth moms, adoptive moms, foster moms, grandmothers. Any women taking care of a biracial child is welcome to join this free forum!! Join today and share you up and downs and your everyday stories. Click the link and join today.
[url]http://groups.msn.com/BiracialKidosandmoms[/url]
If it does not click just paste it in your browser.
ondi4
There is a great womens\moms group that is just for birth moms, adoptive moms, foster moms, grandmothers. Any women taking care of a biracial child is welcome to join this free forum!! Join today and share you up and downs and your everyday stories. Click the link and join today.
[url=http://groups.msn.com/BiracialKidosandmoms]MSN Groups Closure Notice[/url]
If it does not click just paste it in your browser.
I found this link closed.
padma
air
yeah im biracial and i hate it! there are very few black people in our community and even less in my church adn school. It makes it really hard, my self esteem is really low, alot of my friends say they want my tan skin and some make fun of me and i get smart remarks like im an oreo i just laugh with them but im really hurt inside! or i get teh stares when i am with my afamily because i look nothing like them adn it is embarrassing as hell! i really just wish i could be a normal kid that wasnt biracial (actually it might as well be black bc thats what it looks like) or even better not be adopted! No one really understands what its like to be me for one day at my stupid school! I would love to switch bodies for one day with anyone who was normal!
It sounds like you've been through a lot to have made you so hard on yourself, especially about being biracial. Your post made me so very sad. I guess it depends on where you are from. Where i live, there is such a wonderful diversity of colors, especially biracial people(black/white, black/hispanic, hispanic/white and the list goes on). And it appears that your family doesn't really understand that their comments behind your back, are really hurting you. As for your friends, can you tell them not to make comments. I've learned as i've gotten older that you have to teach people how to treat you. If their comments hurt you, then let them know that this is not acceptable. I know it's hard being a teen and in school and dealing with ignorance, but the real friends will stop making remarks. I have dealt with similar issues growing up. Now, i am 40 and absolutely refuse to hang around foolish people. It took me a long time to use my voice to let people know what's acceptable and what's unacceptable. I can bet you are a beautiful young woman with great potential. You have to find your voice and began to use it. Don't let people make you feel less than. I spent years letting others control me with their words. Now, my desire is to adopt a little girl(s)through foster care. Although, i am very much open to any race, I would love to adopt a child of mixed race like myself(any mixture). I believe i am well equipped to help with the issues that some mixed race children face. Perhaps, someday, you might be in the position to help a child like yourself. Being biracial is not abnormal. There are many websites specifically for biracial, multi-racial children and adults that you might be able to express yourself in and receive a great deal of support. Please don't hate yourself. You are valuable, even if you don't believe it.
I am not biracial, but my children will be some day! I am hispanic. Both of my parents were born in El Salvador (Central America) and my husband is caucasian. I completely agree that it is important to help kids understand who they are and what their cultures are. Each race is characterized by different languages and traditions and that is super important to share with a child. Children can thrive in a biracial environment.
Advertisements