Adopting from Djibouti

(Redirected from Djibouti)



Aerial view of Ville.

Little Somali girl.

Old man in Harar.

Lake Assal.


Fishing Boats in a port.


Notice: As of July 14, 2014, all individuals and agencies facilitating international adoptions must be in compliance with the Intercountry Universal Accreditation Act.

The information contained on this website is for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal advice. Always seek the advice of a licensed and qualified professional. While the content of this website is frequently updated, information changes rapidly and therefore, some information may be out of date, and/or contain inaccuracies, omissions or typographical errors.

About Djibouti

The French Territory of the Afars and the Issas became Djibouti in 1977. Hassan Gouled APTIDON installed an authoritarian one-party state and proceeded to serve as president until 1999. Unrest among the Afar minority during the 1990s led to a civil war that ended in 2001 with a peace accord between Afar rebels and the Somali Issa-dominated government. To learn more, please read About Djibouti.

Hague Convention Information

Djibouti is not party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention). To learn more, please read about Djibouti and the Hague Convention.

Who Can Adopt

In addition to U.S. immigration requirements, you must also meet numerous requirements in order to adopt a child from Djibouti. To learn more, please read about Who Can Adopt from Djibouti.

Who Can Be Adopted

In addition to U.S. immigration requirements, Djibouti has numerous specific requirements that a child must meet in order to be eligible for adoption. To learn about these requirements please read Who Can Be Adopted from Djibouti.

How to Adopt

The Process

The process for adopting a child from Djibouti generally includes the following steps:

  1. Choose an adoption service provider
  2. Apply to be found eligible to adopt
  3. Be matched with a child
  4. Adopt the child in Djibouti
  5. Apply for the child to be found eligible for orphan status
  6. Bring your child home

To learn more please read about How to Adopt from Djibouti.

Traveling Abroad

Applying for Your U.S. Passport

U.S. citizens are required by law to enter and depart the United States on a valid U.S. passport. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue, or verify U.S. passports. To learn more please read Traveling Abroad in Djibouti.

After Adoption

Djibouti does not have any post adoption requirements.

What resources are available to assist families after the adoption?

Many adoptive parents find it important to find support after the adoption. Take advantage of all the resources available to your family -- whether it's another adoptive family, a support group, an advocacy organization, or your religious or community services.

Here are some good places to start your support group search:

Adoption Services Support Groups for Adopting Persons

North American Council on Adoptable Children

NOTE: Inclusion of non-U.S. Government links does not imply endorsement of contents.

Contact Information

U.S. Embassy in Djibouti

Lot Number 350-B Lotissement Haramous Djibouti City Tel: (253) 21-453-000 Fax: (253) 21-453-340 E-mail: Internet: U.S. Embassy in Djibouti

Djibouti’s Adoption Authority

Office of the Secretary Tribunal de Première Instance Ministère de la Justice B.P. 12 Djibouti République de Djibouti Tel: (253) 21-353-389

Embassy of Djibouti

Embassy of the Republic of Djibouti 1156 15th St., NW, Suite 515 Washington, DC 20005 Tel: 202-331-0270

Office of Children’s Issues

U.S. Department of State CA/OCS/CI SA-17, 9th Floor Washington, DC 20522-1709 Tel: 1-888-407-4747 Email: Internet: U.S. Department of State

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

For questions about immigration procedures: National Customer Service Center (NCSC) Tel: 1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833) Internet: USCIS

For questions about filing a Form I-600A or I-600 petition:

National Benefits Center Tel: 1-877-424-8374 (toll free); 1-816-251-2770 (local) Email:


Intercountry Adoption, Bureau of Consular Affairs. U.S. Department of State Country Information