Adopting from Belgium

The official flag.



A collage of Brussels.

A bridge over a quite Brugge canal.

Antwerps City Hall in the Great Market Square.

Notice: As of July 14, 2014, all individuals and agencies facilitating international adoptions must be in compliance with the Intercountry Universal Accreditation Act.

The information contained on this website is for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal advice. Always seek the advice of a licensed and qualified professional. While the content of this website is frequently updated, information changes rapidly and therefore, some information may be out of date, and/or contain inaccuracies, omissions or typographical errors.

About Belgium

Belgium became independent from the Netherlands in 1830; it was occupied by Germany during World Wars I and II. The country prospered in the past half century as a modern, technologically advanced European state and member of NATO and the EU. To learn more, read About Belgium.

Hague Convention Information

Belgium is party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention). Therefore all adoptions between Belgium and the United States must meet the requirements of the Convention and U.S. law implementing the Convention. To learn more, read about Belgium and the Hague Convention.

Who Can Adopt

To learn more, read about Who Can Adopt from Belgium.

Who Can Be Adopted

Because Belgium is party to the Hague Adoption Convention, children from Belgium must meet the requirements of the Convention in order to be eligible for adoption. Read more about Who Can Be Adopted from Belgium.

For example, the Convention requires that Belgium attempt to place a child with a family in-country before determining that a child is eligible for intercountry adoption. In addition to Belgium's requirements, a child must meet the definition of a Convention adoptee for you to bring him or her back to the United States.

How to Adopt

Read about How to Adopt from Belgium.

Traveling Abroad

Applying for Your U.S. Passport

A valid U.S. passport is required to enter and leave Belgium. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue, or verify U.S. passports. To learn more, read about Traveling Abroad in Belgium.

After Adoption

What resources are available to assist families after the adoption?

Many adoptive parents find it important to find support after the adoption. Take advantage of all the resources available to your family -- whether it's another adoptive family, a support group, an advocacy organization, or your religious or community services.

Here are some good places to start your support group search:

Child Welfare Information Gateway

North American Council on Adoptable Children

NOTE: Inclusion of non-U.S. Government links does not imply endorsement of contents.

Contact Information

U.S. Embassy in Belgium

Boulevard du Regent 25 1000 Brussels tel.: (02) 508-2537 fax: (02) 513- 0409 E-mail: Telephone: +358-9-616-25730

Belgium's Adoption Authority (ies)

Residents of the Flemish-speaking part of Belgium should contact:

Kind en Gezin Hallepoortlaan 27 1060 Brussels tel.: (02) 533 1476 email

Residents of the French-speaking part of Belgium should contact:

Autorité Communautaire pour l'Adoption Internationale (ACAI) Boulevard Leopold II, 44, 1080 Brussels tel.: (02) 413 2726.

Residents of the German-speaking community should contact:

Ministerium der Deutschsprachigen Gemeinschaft Zentrale Behörde der Deutschsprachigen Gemeinschaft für Adoptionen Gospertstrasse 1 B-4700 Eupen Fax.: +32 (87) 55 64 74 Tel.: + 32 (87) 59 63 46

Embassy of Belgium

3330 Garfield Street N.W. Washington, D.C. 20008 tel.: (202) 333-6900 Fax (202) 333-5457 E-mail:

Belgium also has Consulates in Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles, and New York.

Office of Children's Issues

U.S. Department of State CA/OCS/CI SA-17, 9th Floor Washington, DC 20522-1709 Tel: 1-888-407-4747 E-mail: Internet: U.S. Department of State

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

For questions about immigration procedures, call the National Customer Service Center (NCSC) 1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833)


Intercountry Adoption, Bureau of Consular Affairs. U.S. Department of State Country Information