Advertisements
Advertisements
We are in the process of adopting through our local Children's Aid and are looking for any advice or insight we can get from others who have been there.
I have been reading posts on this site for long time and realize there are a lot of people against us(adopters), but we feel these are people who have had bad experiences and don't know how else to deal with them.
Our choice to adopt a child or children through the Children's Aid is to avoid the child/children getting lost in a system where they can easily be forgotten as well as fulfilling our dream of becoming parents. We feel that all children that have been relinquished, whether newborn or otherwise & for whatever reason, deserve the love and security of a good home.
If you wish to learn more about us, please take some time to look at our website at [url]http://members.rogers.com/gizz65/[/url]
Thanks for listening,
:)Laurie:)
The best of luck to you both!
Since last fall 2002, my husband and I were in the process of adopting through Brockville Family and Children's Services, until last month.
We have been having fertility problems for the last 7 years, and decided to go with Family and Children's Services, as it is government funded and free. Everything went well until our homestudy began.
We were denied aoption because my husband has past record of offences from 1989 when he was charged with driving without insurance, lost his licence, then was charged in 1992 b/c he had neither a licence or insurance.
I did not know my husband back then, but I know that he is a changed man, self-employed, both financially secure, home-owners and have too much love built inside to give a cherished child.
Unfortunately, they do not care and see that he has a record of offences, in which the law cannot do nothing for us.
I brought my story forward, to let you know that if you have ever done anything stupid in the past and have a minor charge on your record-- you may want to get a Pardon before you proceed, otherwise if you are turned down, all family and children's services computers will have your name flagged and turn you down, so I am told.
Chances of your family getting a child under 3 is extremly rare, as many people sit on the waiting list for a couple of years or more, praying that a young infant comes their way.
Just thought I would let you know that the process of homestudy is very emotional. If you both are not picky with the children you get, or raise the age factor to 6 or more, you will be put on a priority list, oherwise you may wait for years before you get the child you desire.
Just a helpful note!
Best of luck to you both!!
Advertisements
Hi...I wish you good luck...I took a quick look at your website and can see your dedication to the process. It has really got me thinking of perhaps developing a website for us...perhaps in blog format :)
My husband and I live in Northern Ontario and are also adopting through our area Child and Family Services. We started off by going through the fostering process and were approved in late March and started fostering 2 brothers (aged 9 and 10) in early June. We then started the adoption process, which was shortened due to the fostering process. We had one home visit for adoption (3 for fostering) and this week just finished getting our medical forms filled out by our doctors. :)
We are looking at adopting a little girl under the age of 3, preferably from a native background (I have a native background..my grandmother is status). We have been told by our worker that there should be NO problem getting a child under 3. Infact we could easily have our adoptive child by November! :D But, I believe your odds of getting a child under the age of 3 vary depending on the area you live in and what you are willing to accept (ex. ADHD, FAS, etc).
Our reason for adopting is fairly simple...we are unable to have our own children as hubby as a disease that makes him less fertile (Myotonic MD).
The reason for native stems from numerous reasons...
-40% of the children available for adoption in our area are native yet only 1-2% of the potential adoptive parents are native
-I have a native background (my grandma is status)
-Hubby has been exposed to the native culture through my family and through my past employment at a native agency
-And the silliest reason...hubby thinks native babies are cute :rolleyes:
The reason for a girl....is harder to explain. We talked long and hard about it...we knew deep down we would only financially we able to adopt one child and so we had to discuss whether we wanted to chose the sex. Well, it ended up that we suddenly kept talking about this "baby girl" we were going to adopt. That's when we knew...we both deep down wanted a girl. A little native baby girl. OUR little native baby girl.
:o Ok...suddenly I'm all emotional. I just can't believe that we could have OUR little native baby girl in the next month or two. I mean, we're all ready (we think, we hope). Hubby will be the stay-at-home person and has taken parenting classes to prepare. Meanwhile, we have set up the room including putting bedding on the crib. Still, it is overwhelming to think that this could be coming true very soon. Perhaps that explains my obsession with watching Life's Birth Stories and Adoption Stories on Discovery Health. :p
Sorry I got so long...thanks for listening...
Jasmine :)
It was nice to read your story - who knows maybe you will have your family completed before Christmas - that would be wonderful.
Good Luck and thanks for your input on my website - It is pretty easy when you have Office, cause it comes with Frontpage. But you never know, you may not need to if you dream is coming true soon.
Talk to you soon,
Laurie :)
laurie...I'm glad you enjoyed my story. It's amazing how emotional you can get when you start talking about it. I always watch "Adoption Stories" on Discovery Health and I remember the first time thinking..."why the heck are these people crying when they're getting their babies?" Needless to say, I've realized why and now I'm usually tearing up when I watch the show. I imagine I'll be crying when my day comes too. :p
Hmmm...you did you webpage with FrontPage? Hmmm..that's really got me thinking now. But, on the other hand, I like the blogging idea where it's like a journal format and you don't have to worry about uploading. You just type and press "submit" from what I understand. I think I will start one soon. Even though our family may be completed before Christmas, that still seems AGES away and my mind is racing with thoughts about adoption.
I forgot to tell you about one thing I'm going through now... I was recently told straight out by CAFS that I need to take time off (parental leave) as soon as we get our adoptive placement even though hubby is stay-at-home. And, she wasn't talking a few weeks either, she asked for 6 months. :eek: Needless to say, we've decided to only take 3 months and so my next task is to tell my employer. Just thought I'd let you know incase they are ask that... :)
It was so good to read your web site and know that I am not alone. My husband and I have just started the adoption process through our local CAS here in Hamilton and I am so discouraged that we can't even get an information night until January. I have PCOS and we haven't been able to get pregnant on our own with any luck we will start fertility drugs in a month. We have committed to 2 rounds of the meds and then we will concentrate only on adoption. Either way I'm waiting which I don't do well and I really just want to be a mom like yesterday. I am so glad this sit exists so that I can talk about my feelings with people who understand.
Advertisements
Hello all! It's nice to see some fellow Ontarians here!
I am an adoptee, and I have been in reunion with my birth family since May 2002. All four of us in my family were adopted through CAS. I hope that CAS has learned some things over the past 20 years.
My mom (adoptive mom) had to fight for non-identifying information for my siblings and I. She was able to get the most for me, because I was only a few months old when I was adopted, and my birth parents were dealing with their social worker at the same time that my parents were talking with theirs. Hopefully, it's not as hard now to get non-identifying info, but I cannot stress enough how important it is.
Having my non-identifying info throughout my life has made a huge difference to me, in my opinion. My mom created a book all about my adoption based on the info that she was able to get. The book told my story, gave information about my birthparents' hobbies, siblings, medical histories, and physical descriptions. Somehow (and I don't know how, other than the fact that my mom is VERY persistent when it comes to her kids!) my mom was also able to get my birth parents names, on the condition that they would not be given to me until I was 18. Having as much info as I did made my search for my birth parents very easy. All my birth mother had to do was go to an adoption reunion registry site and she found me within seconds!
Also, I recently found out that my mom gave CAS regular updates that were to be passed on to my birth parents if they wanted it. She sent pictures, and updates about how our family had grown or any serious illnesses that I had. My birth father had done the same thing, and told CAS to give the info to my adoptive parents if they wanted it. My mom AND my birth father never recieved any updates from each other about me, even though they BOTH asked for it, and they BOTH provided it! Again, I hope that CAS has fixed this, but I would encourage you to not take "no" for an answer. Don't just accept what you are told, fight for the answers that you want to hear!
My parents adopted the 4 of us in 4 years. I was adopted first, at 3 months old. My parents waited about a year for me. It might have been longer, but I'm multiracial (Jamaican, Cree Indian, Lebanese, and Scottish) and my parents didn't request a particular race. My oldest brother was adopted the next year at the age of 5 (almost 6). He had been in several foster homes because of severe behaviour and emotional problems. He also had health problems and FAE, as well as being milatto. Needless to say, my parents didn't have to wait too long for him. My mom had planned to be a stay-at-home mom so that she could adequately care for and nurture several children with special needs. My sister was adopted the following year at the age of 1 1/2. She is black, and since she was a toddler, my parents didn't have to wait quite as long for her, either. My other brother was the last to be adopted, the next year, at the age of 5. He has a developemental disability as a result of shaken baby syndrome and other physical abuse as an infant. He had been adopted once before, but had been given back to CAS when his adoptive parents had a biological child. Needless to say, he was considered "damaged goods" (as horrible as that sounds!), so my parents didn't have to wait for him, either.
If you aren't picky about your future children, you will probably have them sooner, BUT you're life will probably be more difficult, as well. If you choose to adopt a child (or children) with special needs, your life will be anything but a fairy tale. My oldest brother left home at 17, and hasn't spoken to my mom in almost 10 years. My other 2 siblings are doing okay, but it is still painful for my mom to see where their lives are going.
If you decide to adopt children with special needs, I will wish you the best. There is no glory in it, and a lot of pain, but you will be changing a very special life in a very important way.
I wish all of you the best in your adoptions, and I look forward to talking to all of you soon!
hello thought what you were doing was never done as so i wanted to write to you...i too want to do that...i have been fostering children for respite care for a while and now wanted to have foster children full time...problem is i may want to keep em too...so hence i thought i would want to foster with a view to adopt..canyou tell me more about your experience any tips and any issues...thanks so much
Hi there,
A bit of a different perspective on foster to adopt.
We were considered foster with a view to adopt, but our daughter was crown ward, no access. We met her doing foster relief (or respite) but were in the early stages of the adoption process and had to be rushed through the homestudy and classes. However, when we thought everything was done we had to sit through the branch hearing to confirm we would be her adoptive parents, which was frightening.
We finalized in August, 11 months after she came to live with us as a foster placement.
BTW, we live outside Toronto in the GTA.
Allana
Advertisements
we're terrified due to our experiance with cas here in our city (windsor) my husbands brother him and his wife are drug addicts.... my nephews lived with us for 9 months last year because my BIL realized he couldn't handle the boys and his addiction. CAS became involved once my husband and I wanted to be granted temp custody because our BIL was talking about taking them back. when my nephews cam to live with us, they were gaining weight, learing how to bathe, read and their grades were well in school my BIL took my nephews last halloween they now live in a dope house with barely any furnature with their mom dad and moms boyfriend... its a SAD SAD situation. and anyone who would hear my story would pull those boys even if they couldn't be placed with us.
my BIL and his wife told cas a bunch of lies about us, we were never asked any questions BUT our calls about my nephews were never returned either.
My husband tried drugs a little bit after his mothers death 7 years ago, at that time he had a daughter with a lady and cas was called in because he od'd at home. THE CASE WAS CLOSED really quickly because NO ONE knew my husband had a problem. and the mother of the child had no idea about my husband and im not sure exactly what happened, i just know shortly after she left him because she couldn't live anylonger with what he had done. but his name is still in the cas database my husband has never touched drugs since that day and we have a beautiful home, my husband has an amazing job and i work for the city PT making pretty good money. because of where i work as well, any child placed with us will have access to the best counseling and great medical care. as well as a stable loving home. a great extended family (asside from his brother who we don't talk to anymore)
how is this going to affect our ability to adopt? through windsor essex cas. what is the best route we can take to increase our chances and not mess up any other adoption we apply for.
the cas lady said if we are turned down we can apply again at a later date but i have herd once your turned down thats it you have no chance to adopt. any help is appreciated thank you
https://adoption.com/forums/thread/104519/looking-to-adopt-in-ontario-canada/
<a href="https://adoption.com/forums/thread/104519/looking-to-adopt-in-ontario-canada/">https://adoption.com/forums/thread/104519/looking-to-adopt-in-ontario-canada/</a>
[url=https://adoption.com/forums/thread/104519/looking-to-adopt-in-ontario-canada/]https://adoption.com/forums/thread/104519/looking-to-adopt-in-ontario-canada/[/url]
Advertisements