Advertisements
Advertisements
Originally Posted By keri
My co-worker is adopting a five-year-old (first child). We are split down the middle on wether or not to throw a shower. What do you guys think?
Advertisements
Originally Posted By Melody
We are in the adoption process. At this point we're not sure if our child will be an infant or an older child; however, a dear friend is throwing one for us (when child comes!) and I can tell you from an expense standpoint it will be a blessing. As for support - it doesnt' get much better!
Originally Posted By Cheryl
Okay. What is the problem with giving a "shower" for a new child. I understand how people talk about others that have one baby shower after another... And why does adoption have to be emphasized. This is a child coming to live with a new family. This child is a person that deserves just as much as any "natural" child would get. So if the child is older, say two to 17 years old throw a "welcome" party. Invite everybody! Don't just invite the girls. Invite whole families. I have adopted three times. The first was a baby shower just before going to get our infant son. Entire families were invited. The next, for a four year old boy, was a bar-b-que at church that included entire families especially those with children. The last one was a welcome party for our daughter that was 17 when she came to us. The people I work with gave this shower. Most everyone was invited. We requested no gifts but most everyone brought presents.
I just don't understand why "adopted" children have to be treated differently than "natural" children.
1 Liked
 likes this.
Originally Posted By Cindy
I think you should definitely give her one. This is a really special time for both of them!
1 Liked
 likes this.
Originally Posted By Rie
I would definitely ask the family if they would like to have a shower. We adopted a 11 and 9 year old, sister and brother. I know that all those new people and attention would have been too much for them. But, I also know that we have adopted two younger children and I feel like I have missed out on something special because we haven't had any kid showers. Just some more oppinions to think about.
Advertisements
yes give her a shower!it will b fun and she may need things.and i would think it would make the child feel special
Originally Posted By tan
SHOW YOUR LOVE,THOUGHT,AND PRAYERS TO YOUR FRIEND..AS WE KNOW THE CHILD WILL NEED CLOTHING OR EVEN THROW IN A TOY FOR THE CHILD.BLESS THE CHILD AS GOD WILL BLESS YOU...MY MANY PRAYERS GOES OUT TO ALL THAT ADOPT
1 Liked
 likes this.
Originally Posted By Janelle
My friend and her husband are adopting a 4 yr. old and a 5 yr. old and absolutely yes! We are giving her a shower!! This will be her first too! I can't think of a better way to congratulate someone than to shower them with love and best wishes! (presents are nice too!)
Absolutely! Whether the child is 5 years or newborn, it is still a first, and their are still needs. I am adopting a 21 month old in a few weeks. I currently have 3 children ages, 22, 20 & 16. Between friends, family & co-workers we are having a total of 4 showers! This is SUCH a blessing to us! Hope this helps!
Advertisements
My DH & I are doing our HomeStudy and Training in Sept. and We could be parents by December or Jan. My sister who is Due with her first baby Dec 2 says she will throw me a shower, but she thinks it is too early to register for what we might need.
Am I crazy to want to get the registry over with? It's a little something for me to enjoy - dreaming about what may come, what I may need. But she wants me to wait until we have placement details. From what I have heard about older child adoption in my area - It's very quickly after homestudy if they find a good match. so i won't neccessarily have time later to Meander through the store.
Did anyone else go through this?
Once the child is liked by you, the agency will process your case in the concerned court of law to make the adoption legal. After the court clears the child.Adopting a child is not only a highly emotional decision but it is a lifelong bond, which on one hand provides an affectionate and loving family.
------------------------------------
jnnywllms
[URL=http://www.superbabyguide.com]SuperBabyGuide[/URL]
CanMomEh
My DH & I are doing our HomeStudy and Training in Sept. and We could be parents by December or Jan. My sister who is Due with her first baby Dec 2 says she will throw me a shower, but she thinks it is too early to register for what we might need.
Am I crazy to want to get the registry over with? It's a little something for me to enjoy - dreaming about what may come, what I may need. But she wants me to wait until we have placement details. From what I have heard about older child adoption in my area - It's very quickly after homestudy if they find a good match. so i won't neccessarily have time later to Meander through the store.
Did anyone else go through this?
I would wait for placement details, (boy, girl age). You want to be sure that you register for the things that you may need and things that the child will like. I had a room already and had a five year old placed with us, she HATED the room color. She was not a typical girl. When the courts overturned her parents TPR she went back home. We then waited until placement to register.
Your co-workers need to get off of there wallets and throw this lady and her family a party. I have attended many of these "showers" in the past, they are always fun, and very much appreicated.
Advertisements
Archive
Originally Posted By keri
My co-worker is adopting a five-year-old (first child). We are split down the middle on wether or not to throw a shower. What do you guys think?
My Hubby and I are adopting an 8 year old and this is our first child. We are looking forward to our "Welcome Home Party" as there will be many things we shall need for our new daughter. I would say Yes, have the shower for your friend/coworker. They will be a lot of things they will need for the new member of the family. We are having our "shower" after we bring our little girl home - something to think about if they have not met the child yet. In our case she is Euro-Asian and from Russia, we have not yet met her and do not know what sizes she'll need or what she likes yet as far as toys and stuff goes.
Originally Posted By Rie
I would definitely ask the family if they would like to have a shower. We adopted a 11 and 9 year old, sister and brother. I know that all those new people and attention would have been too much for them. But, I also know that we have adopted two younger children and I feel like I have missed out on something special because we haven't had any kid showers. Just some more oppinions to think about.
This is where having more of a child shower than a welcoming party can be beneficial because with a shower the children may all be going and playing while things are going on much as happens with regular baby shower events when other mothers bring children, as opposed to a welcoming party which might overwhelm a child, especially if the child is shy or has special needs. Some of it is really a matter of communicating openly to find out the wishes. Some might feel it easier to have a gathering a few weeks to a month later after children have at least been introduced to all the strange faces likely to be there. That also gives the parents time to realize what needs they may still have, especially as children grow rapidly! One thing that has become popular is a wishing well of books for babies or children and this is something that an office can easily have a wishing you well celebration with cake and books if it needed to be kept more low key.