Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello Everyone:
This is a new forum for all parents that are fostering a child in the state of Kentucky or would like to. If you have fostered a child in the past in the state of Kentucky and would like to encourage foster parents for this state you are welcome to post on this forum as well.
Please feel free to network about various aspects of foster parenting.
You may wish to share with one another about services available in your state. Helpful tips on transitioning a child into your home. Problems or concerns in which you would like to have perspectives from other foster parents. Activities that foster families enjoy. Vacation ideas. And any other topics that foster families may have in common.
Post and make new friends in your own home state!
the GPS classes required for KY foster parents. What questions do you have? What part of the state are you living in? Maybe we can help?
We are foster parents and have had nearly 60 children in the past 9 years. No adoptions yet, but possibly one coming up in the near future.:)
Hope I can help you out!!
Advertisements
Hello let me start off by thanking you so much for answering my post. I have a million questions but I will only ask a few lol. What can we expect to happen during the homestudy? When fostering do you pick up the children or does the case worker or social worker bring them to you? Do you take the children for visits with parents? After you go through the classes can you adopt from any state? We have pets will this effect our homestudy in any way? We live in Cumberland County Kentucky if that helps any. That is all of the questions that I will bother you with right now. We Just found out today that we go to the first meeting next thursday I am sure that I will get answers then but my husband and I are just so anxious to find out all that we can we just couldnt wait lol. again thank you for reading and answering my post.:D
My husband and I went to our Info meeting last thursday. Got a lot of info in a short period of time we kept the poor lady long after everyone else left asking questions. We met some very nice people and we are very excited to get started. The only drawback is that the classes do not start until January. This kinda disappointed because we have to wait so long. But this will give us time to get things together (I suppose) lol. We got the bedroom cleared out (we were using it for storage kinda) and we are trying to get things together that we think that we might need like marriage license, Birth certificate, . Maybe with thinksgiving and christmas comming up it will go by fast and we can get started. Thank you for all of your advice and time it has been very helpful.:D
does the bio. mom have a say so if we go on a trip and take kids with us. and also let kids ride 4 wheeler?
Advertisements
Is there a group somewhere that other foster parents and interested foster parents from KY chat?? This sections seems so quiet. I check back often, but rarely does anyone post. THANKS!! --Amy--
No forum that I know of. If you find one let me know. I have suggested it in the past to folks here in KY, but so far nothing. We could start one ourselves, but I have no idea how to do it....:D
i called the family enrichment center and they said that we didn't have to tell parents about going just needed a paper for med. if something would happen and could get them from cw
I am a foster parent. To answer your question: It depends on where you are going and how long you are gone. If you go out of state and are going to be gone for more than a day you do need permission. In our region foster children are not allowed to ride four wheelers. Also, you have to have permission to let them go swimming or do many things. My advice is talk to your worker and find out what the policies are in your region. You do have to get permission for a lot of things, though.
You also may have to take the children for visits with bio parents. I was scared to death at first, but it wasn't too bad. Now, our children no longer have visits. Develop a good relationship with everyone you need to work with (caseworker, bio parents-if possible, guardian ad lidum, judge, etc.). Always be positive and kind--it will get you a lot further in this system. I try to always be supportive and positive at all times, but my workers know also that I am an advocate for the children. Hope this helps. Remember one thing--if the birth parents still have rights they have the say and you do not.
Advertisements
I am trying to find someone who is in a foster home i want to know if there is a way.. What happend is a mother and kicked her daugther so.. She moved out in the same town she lives in a foster home but i dont know how to contact her i would like to right a letter to her or something. She will be 18 aug 21st and i just want to right her a letter and tell her i am here for her and stuff like that. If anyone can help please contact me.
Freeac2001 -
Call the local DSS office. They will probably give you a CW name and you will have to write the letter in care of her.
Don't know if you're still checking in here but wanted to post anyway, just in case.
My husband and I are currently taking the classes and have 2 sessions left with the trainers and 1 with the caseworker who will be assigned to us.
Would love to chat. We are in Louisville and hope to foster a sibling group of 6 that have been friends of the family for the past 5 years. If not them, then I know there are plenty of other kids out there.
Donna
Just curious if you still check this or not. We are also in Louisville and are going for our informational meeting next week. Would love to get some feedback from you.
Advertisements
Hi there - yes, I still do occasionally. Also, I've started a new Kentucky fostering message board as well. the address to it is [url]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kyfosterparents[/url]
Its just me right now but I hope for that to change.
I'd be happy to give you any and all feedback that I can.
Donna
It sure would be nice to talk to other people from Kentucky who are fostering and adopting.
My husband and I just started Mapp Classes in March and our homestudies are this month.