Advertisements
Advertisements
I was adopted as a child by my stepfather. Now as an adult, I want to reverse the adoption and get my real father back on my birthcertificate. Anyone know if this can be done in North Carolina or who I might contact for info?
You may need to contact an attorney to actually see about the change on a birth certificate.
You do have the right to change your last name legally if this is your main goal. Anyone can leagally change their name if they are adults. I see your are male and this might make you as happy as anything else getting you bio name back could be as much as you need for your heart. But if the brith certificate matters to you I would think there could be a legal way to do so---not sure?
Good luck.
Advertisements
You may also consider having your biological dad adopt you back. Don't know if NC allows adult adoptions as I am not in the office and don't have my list handy.
-Scott
Sorry I didn't give out all the facts. My biological father died when I was real young. My stepfather is alive, but we haven't seen each other in many years. Thanks for your responses.
Given that your biological father is deceased, I believe that changing your last name is the best you will be able to get accomplished. It sounds like you truly want to "reverse" the adoption and I don't think that is possible, but you may want to check with an attorney in your area, as laws are different in each state. You said you haven't spoken to your adoptive father in some time, but I'm curious, is it more than that? I'm being nosey and you do not have to answer that if you do not want to, I'm just curious.
Awhile ago, I would've thought changing your last name would've been sufficient. Another member educated me (it might have been BrandyHagz; I don't remember), pointing out that as long as this person's name is on your birth certificate, he is still considered your next of kin and although you are an adult, he may have some influence and control over you, such as the right to make decisions for you in the event of your death, or in the event that you were incapacitated.
So... if this would be a problem for you, I would definitely recommend getting his name off your birth certificate, not just changing your name.
There must be some way to do this legally; adoptive parents have the right to disrupt adoptions if they don't work out; I can't imagine that adult adoptees don't have the right to do the same.
If I were you, I would speak to an attorney about it. Since your birthfather is deceased and cannot readopt you, it may be a matter of having someone else agree to "adopt" you. I know, it sounds kind of silly, but I imagine this is what would have to happen. I've heard (again, you'd have to check with an attorney) that any adult can legally adopt any other adult, as long as they are at least one year older?
Best wishes to you, ~ Sharon
Advertisements
Originally posted by Sharon
There must be some way to do this legally; adoptive parents have the right to disrupt adoptions if they don't work out
Not usually once the adoption is finalized. In fact, I worked on a case where the aparents REFUSED to finalize because they didnt like problems that were appearing in the child! Ugh ugh ugh.
Originally posted by Sharon
I've heard (again, you'd have to check with an attorney) that any adult can legally adopt any other adult, as long as they are at least one year older?
Best wishes to you, ~ Sharon
What's really funny Sharon - in some states the adopting person does not have to be older than the adopted person! Boy what a mess we could make with that one.
-Scott
It appears that this subject hasn't been raised in awhile, but I am a 60 year old female who wants very much to have my natural father's name back on my birth certificate. Both my natural parents and my stepfather are deceased, so it is mostly a matter of what future generations will find when/if they try to research their family tree. I would much rather they found the *correct* information on who my natural father was - NOT the stepfather whose name & pertinent information was filled in in place of the information originally put there about my natural father. This is a HUGE thing for me, as my stepfather abused & molested my sister & me for many, many years - and I'd like to permanently erase him from my birth certificate. I live in Northern California. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thank you!
1 Liked
 likes this.