Advertisements
Advertisements
I am 37 single and professionally successful but I really want a child. I have talk to so many adoption agencies that discourage singles. Please PM me any agencies you have worked with that helped you and resulted in placements.
I would prefer a domestic infant but am open to other possibilities as well.
Thanks so much!
There are many that tell singles "no way" and some that are not encouraging. Just keep looking!! You may need to go outside of your area, maybe even a national agency. But I promise if you keep looking you will find agencies that are happy to work with singles.
Advertisements
Parent Profiles allows singles to adopt.
[url=http://www.parentprofiles.com/]Hopeful Adoptive Parents, Couples, Families Hoping to Adopt, Parent Profiles, Adoption, Unplanned Pregnancy[/url]
It's interesting to know that parent profiles changed their policy. I adopted 2 years ago and remember looking into parent profiles and they didn't accept profiles of singles.
To the OP, it's definitely possible for a single woman to adopt an infant domestically. I had agencies say they didn't accept singles but found others that were welcoming.
I can PM you tomorrow. Don't give up because there are many of us here who were chosen by expectant moms.
I don't mean to be rude or arrogant, but you are asking Agencies for a request.
Which or that every Adoptive Family is asking for.
It's increasingly harder with Domestic Adoption.
Most Overseas Countries are either Closed Indefinitely, or 'Backlogged' Indefinitely.
I would phrase or accentuate your request with Open to Anything!!
I know also that as a Single Parent.
You could probably Market yourself with Qualities. Which or that no one else would Advocates to Agencies!!
For Infants, I would also look towards possibly Surrogating??
Advertisements
No need for surrogacy. It's possible for a single woman to adopt a newborn/infant. I'm not really sure what you're saying with your post.
Definitely possible; there are plenty of us on here who have adopted newborns as single parents. One thing you want to think about is what you are open to (gender, race, special needs, etc). The agency I went through has since closed, so I can't offer an agency recommendation, but I can offer my process for finding an agency.
I knew that I would be using an out-of-state agency, because my state has a small population and not that many private adoptions. I focused on getting my homestudy done first. Both with the homestudy and with finding a placing agency, I started with a list of available agencies. For placing agencies, I looked at what states I was willing to adopt from (based on what I had learned of state laws and also where I felt I could travel to). My homestudy agency had a list of agencies they had worked with previously, so I was able to start with that list. I also asked for recommendations from people I knew.
I'm Jewish, so I cut all the Christian agencies. I then made a list of the things that were important to me in an agency, and I came up with a list of questions to help me figure out if they were a fit. My first question was some variant of "I'm single, Jewish, and bisexual - do you have any problems working with me and how do you think those things will affect my getting a placement." When I put it that bluntly, I could usually tell pretty well from the person's reaction whether it would be a decent fit. Any agency that was discouraging or that said it would make no difference (because that's probably not true) was out. Then I got to ask all the other questions.
I did find an agency that was happy to work with me. I waited longer than they had expected, but I still traveled home with my son the day my original homestudy expired. I am currently considering another adoption (probably not starting the process for another year, though), and am looking at agencies again. If you are open to special needs adoptions, I have found a couple of programs that are happy to work with singles that seem good; PM me if you are interested and I will pass on the information. Good luck, and don't let people discourage you; most people have little if any experience with singles adopting, so they tend to have a much more negative view than is realistic.
1 Liked
 likes this.
Definitely possible; there are plenty of us on here who have adopted newborns as single parents. One thing you want to think about is what you are open to (gender, race, special needs, etc). The agency I went through has since closed, so I can't offer an agency recommendation, but I can offer my process for finding an agency.
I knew that I would be using an out-of-state agency, because my state has a small population and not that many private adoptions. I focused on getting my homestudy done first. Both with the homestudy and with finding a placing agency, I started with a list of available agencies. For placing agencies, I looked at what states I was willing to adopt from (based on what I had learned of state laws and also where I felt I could travel to). My homestudy agency had a list of agencies they had worked with previously, so I was able to start with that list. I also asked for recommendations from people I knew.
I'm Jewish, so I cut all the Christian agencies. I then made a list of the things that were important to me in an agency, and I came up with a list of questions to help me figure out if they were a fit. My first question was some variant of "I'm single, Jewish, and bisexual - do you have any problems working with me and how do you think those things will affect my getting a placement." When I put it that bluntly, I could usually tell pretty well from the person's reaction whether it would be a decent fit. Any agency that was discouraging or that said it would make no difference (because that's probably not true) was out. Then I got to ask all the other questions.
I did find an agency that was happy to work with me. I waited longer than they had expected, but I still traveled home with my son the day my original homestudy expired. I am currently considering another adoption (probably not starting the process for another year, though), and am looking at agencies again. If you are open to special needs adoptions, I have found a couple of programs that are happy to work with singles that seem good; PM me if you are interested and I will pass on the information. Good luck, and don't let people discourage you; most people have little if any experience with singles adopting, so they tend to have a much more negative view than is realistic.
1 Liked
 likes this.