Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I'm really glad that you brought this up because I was going to post a more general thread on this very topic. In the course of a week I've learned of two fundraisers for families trying to adopt.
One family was hosting a dinner. Another was hosting an auction, and adoption event -- with other families being given the opportunity to have craft tables, and speakers from agencies.
Both families, btw, had other children (one had four other children).
As a personal matter, I'm very, very uncomfortable with these events. People don't hold baked bean suppers to pay for IVF or for their third pregnancy or because they want to build an addition to their house. I don't like adoption seen as charitable event. Adopting my daughter wasn't an act of charity, but holding a silent auction to fund it would have shifted it into the realm of charity. So, to answer your question, yes, I think it's tacky and demeans the creation of my family.
I realize that money is often an issue. I have no trouble with people doing things to raise money--selling items on ebay, holding garage sales, selling crafts at the local craft show. And if they want to mention that they're doing this to pay for their adoption in the hopes that encourages people to say "keep the change" that's fine. But to rent a hall and have a big shindig for the purpose of paying for one family's expansion--I'm really uncomfortable with that.
I just think such events should be used for families in crisis -- those facing series illnesses, house fires etc (I live in a place where benefit dinners are common) or for legitimate charities.
So, I won't be attending any of the benefits, and frankly, I think less of the families who are doing them. That's obviously my opinion only. I'm interested in hearing others.