Advertisements
Advertisements
Has anyone here adopted 2 children from different countries simultaneously?
We are waiting to adopt a child from AZ, but the country is not processing adoption very fast (well, it has only processed 3 since last August) so IF we will be able to adopt her, it won't be for years. We decided we want to adopt an infant from Guatemala but it will be with a different agency.
Has anyone done this on this board? I have spoken to my SW and she is not sure how to write it up (she never encountered anyone who wants to do this, it's alwasy 2 kids from the same country).
Thanks,
Seegal
Advertisements
there is someone on the guatemalan board that is in the proccess of adopting 2 from different countries.
That's me! :-) I'm happy to answer any questions people might have. Feel free to pm me. It's actually turned out to not be that big of a deal.
We are too. 1 From china and 1 from Haiti. As long as both agenies are ok with you adopting from 2 countries at the same time I think your fine. If you have the option to stay with just 1 I am sure it would be easier. However we have had total cooperation and support from both of our agencies. If you have and ? please PM me.
Heidi
I'm very curious, were you agencies local (in the same state)? We were having a sort-of-similar sentiment. We're going to go for Japanese adoption first, then planning on several others, but since Japan is an unstable place to adopt from we have a mercy program in Taiwan as a backup. If Japan went through successfully we were planning to almost immediately start the process for Taiwan. For our case, the Japanese adoption agency would be in another state and the Taiwan would be in state.
I would be very interested in talking to my husband about persuing both contries at once, but doesn't the information on your home study have to be resubmitted to country b once you've gotten a child from country a? Most countries have limits on the number of children you can have, so how does that work? I've studied the various countries very indepth, but I've yet to get very much research done for what needs to happen on the US side.
Advertisements
Hello,
I'd love some input from anyone who has had two dossiers in two different countries. We currently have a dossier in Hungary, but in light of Ukraine opening up in January, we want to submith there as well. We are staying with the same agency for both countries an my agency supports this and has done it before; however my social worker is not very willing to do so.
I guess my question is, did your social worker write two different home studies, or did you go through a different social worker for each? I don't know exactly why she's reluctant. We've just been told that Hungary might take up to two years, so we'd love to have the option of both.
I would love to hear how you go about this, so please email me privately if you wish.
Thanks,
MW
mgwurster, Just to put this out there...
First a little background. We were going to have a dossier in two countries at once, but we ended up stopping our process in Kaz when we started in Russia (we were going to keep them both going as we are hoping for two kids, so thought this could work). Our original homestudy agency is not allowed to do hs for Russia (aren't 'certified' to do those), but we really liked them for our Kaz adoption. In researching both countries, we had two different agencies lined up (our original for Kaz, and our new one for Russia, but different placement agencies), who knew of having another process going, and were okay with that. Just to say, that we don't have our dossier in two countries, but we started out heading down that path, and stopped the original country before we completed our second dossier, but here is what we encountered along the way!
Now, in trying to find another agency to do our new homestudy for Russia (has to be at least an 'update' to your original homestudy due to differences in what each country requires to be in the homestudies), but, we had trouble finding an agency that would do this for us. There were comments regarding needing to quit Kaz before we started, and the liability for the hs agencies of using two different hs agencies for two different countries (convoluded things, I can't explain!).....I guess each agency is responsible for the child placed based on their family assessment, and the second agency wasn't comfortable with it being split b/t two kids from different countries, etc (strange to me, as, if something is not being taken care of for one child, then why does it matter if it was the child they 'approved us for', they would need to deal with it.......but, I need to stay on point!)...
We finally found an agency that could see the logic through it and would work wiht our original agency if we were to bring a child home from each country.....problem solved! But it took calling and talking with EVERY agency I could find in our metro area. Literally, I heard so many different answers, sometimes I would just call back later as I got to know the 'rules' better than they did!
My point in all this, is maybe to try to talk with someone else at your hs agency (a director maybe?), and explain your circumstances, and the timeline between the two different countries, and maybe this could help them to help you better? You may have an 'easier' time of it all if both of your hs are with the same agency if possible (it may streamline your hs as well, that would be a great bonus!!). It could be worth trying to talk with different people at your hs agency to see if it can be worked through.....just mho...:fish:
And, we had to pay for our 'update' at the cost of updating our homestudy only (about 1/2 the original fee or so), but it wasn't a cheap thing, and even though we had a full homestudy, since it was a different country, it was a different file in their office so we had to have the home visit, etc before we completed the second one....
Hang in there and hope things work out for you!
I see that some of you were able to get two I-171H's approved. Did you simply file two I-600A applications?
We just received our I-171H for China. We called Miami USCIS to see if we could also apply for a Colombia I-171H also and they weren't sure if we were allowed to do this! The representative was going to talk with a supervisor. We have to call back on Monday.
Thanks.
Marlie Arellano
mjdarellano@hotmail.com
We wish we could do that in the Philippines form Canada. Adopting two kids at the same time. We have difficulties even adopting one.The red tapes are horrendous when make the children cry.
Advertisements
Last year we were in process to adopt from Latvia and Russia at the same time. (We lost our Russian referral, so we only completed one adoption.)
We found a HS agency that was certified for both countries. The SW wrote one HS (full-price) and then charged us a small fee to modify it for the other country. We submitted two I-600A's -- one for each country. The only detail requested by BSCIS was that we provide a cover letter explaining what we were doing and wanted (approval for 2 children Latvia, 4 children Russia = total of 6 children). Each HS had to be written to approve us for the total of 6, not just the number from that country. This is so the BSCIS can make sure you meet income requirements, etc. if ALL the children are there.
We used adoption agencies in two different states and the only issue we encountered was that one agency required that the first child needed to arrive 6 mos before the other (for appropriate bonding time). This would not have been a problem since Russia is so much slower than Latvia. But not all agencies have this requirement.
Since we were unable to complete one of the adoptions, we did not actually have to change any of our dossier to reflect the new child. However, having adopted a few children already, I suspect we would have had to update the HS and provided medicals on the newly adopted child prior to bringing the second one home.
We are pending a referral in China. But, with things moving so slow we figure it is probably at least 1 1/2 years to 2 1/2 years away -- or more. We are starting an adoption from Russia. We have been told it won't take long as we are adopting an older child. Probably 3 to 6 mo. Our I600A update from our China adoption is being held up due to questions from our state. I think a date is wrong on it. Anyway, I'm sure it will be resolved fairly soon. All, looks okay with everything else. Our homestudy is being updated again for Russia now. We are using 3 different agencies to complete this all.
-Karen