Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi everyone,
Just wondering if anyone else out there is adoptiong from anywhere in Africa - it would be graet to start a discussion of experiences. We have one son from SA and are in the process of adopting #2...we have Ministry approval and now are awaiting a referral....
Also wondering if anyone has any experience in breastfeeding an adopted baby? If so, I'd love to chat and hear about what worked and what didn't/how soon you started pumping or taking herbs or meds, etc.
Look forward to hearing from you!
kb
Hello,
We are just starting the process to adopt from Ethiopia.
Although I have not adopted yet, so cannot offer personal experience, I have worked as a breastfeeding consultant where I have met mothers who breastfed their adopted children. There is information on this subject and an amazing doctor who specializes in breastfeeding that is very familiar with this. I don't think I can post the website for the info and for his email to contact him (he replies ASAP unless out of country) but you can email me privately at cabrockington @ yahoo.ca (no spaces) and I will give you the info.
Best wishes,
Carol-Anne
Advertisements
Hi Carol-Anne,
Thanks for your message! Since I wrote that post have been in touch with "that doctor" and a LeLeche League consultant and I think i have it mostly worked out (for now, anyways!). I have started on a birth control pill (although do you know the difference between and "active" bc pill and any other?) and the domperidone - I have a pump ready, and herbs for when we are 6 weeks away from getting baby. Our family MD is very supportive - but unfortunately he will be moving out West at the end of August....
The hardest part is that with South Africa you have no idea how long the wait will be - so it makes it hard to plan. Have you already submitted everything to Ethiopia? How long are you expecting the process to take?
I would love to hear about the experiences of other adoptive mom's who have breastfed - any tips or guidance you have gotten from them?
Great to hear from you,
karyn
Great hearing from you...