Advertisements
Advertisements
went pretty good, she's only there for half day sessions, 3 days a week. Today I spoke with the assistant teacher and she said that Alina wanted a marker that another girl had and bit her. I know she was doing this before, and when she was at the baby sitter's, the daughter kept biting Alina. I know that this is a phase because she really doesn't talk much yet, hoping daycare will take care of that being with other children. I tell her not to bite or be nice, the assistant took her aside and tried to explain to her. She said not to make a big deal about this because it will just continue. Do you think this is just a phase and she will eventually get out of it and it's probably also because she's never been around this many children before. There are 8 children total in her class and teach and assistant. I'm hoping this will stop soon.
Barbara,
this is the most common problem in the toddler and the twos class from what I hear. Sophia never was the biter - but she got bit a number of times. She has bitten at home (her brother mostly, once or twice me). They will tell her no, tell her to use her words to encourage conversation and redirect her.
I wouldnt worry too much about it as it is a common stage. I would reinforce the message of no biting before you go into class (in the car on the way there is a great way to go through the rules!)
Christina
Advertisements
It is common. My oldest son has been biten and bite someone too. Just gently remind her biting is bad. My son didn't bite anyone again once he was biten back.
It is such a common issue at this age. Alek was bit once and then the next two times this one boy bothered him, that was his response to him. I was horrified that he was now the "biter". But they also told us to just talk to him about it calmly and they did as well. It hasn't happened again since, thankfully.
When we would talk to Alek about it, he would be sad about it and say "I sorry mama". He understood it was wrong and between us and the teachers we talked to him about what he could do instead of bite if someone hit him or bothered him.
Normal, normal!
When my son did it at that age, we used to practice at home how to handle his frustration. We'd roll play and take turns being the other kid. I'd pretend, for example, to take a toy away from him. Then he'd practice crossing his arms in front of him (I taught him that so it would be harder for him to bite!!) and make a grumpy face and say he was angry. Then, he'd practice going to the teacher and asking for help with the problem.
He loved the roll play, and we'd have fun seeing who could make the grumpiest faces or sigh the loudest after crossing our arms. And... it seemed to work as the biting stopped.
Now, 5 years later, if I could stop that grumpy face;)