Advertisements
Advertisements
AS6 is struggling with school. He has always been on the young side (birthday mid Sept, cutoff was end Sept, now end of Aug). We have asked since pre-K if we should keep him back a year because of this. He is in 1st grade now. At the beginning of the year he was doing very well, because it is a review of the material from K. As the year has progressed, he has become increasingly distracted. He has a lot of trouble focusing, and ends up talking and being more concerned about what other people are doing rather than focusing on his work.
He is currently on Adderall XR 5 mg. When I originally asked his teacher she said that it was working. What she left out is that it has helped his hyperactivity but not his focus. We are now in the middle of a 90 day Rx, so we wont be able to change until we finish this.
Does anyone have suggestions for other meds that have been tried that have worked? We tried Focalin but it didn't seem to make a difference. Also, has anyone held their child back with success? We are strongly considering it because he is struggling this year and we think emotionally he could use the year to catch up.
Could you possibly try increasing the dosage if it is working, just not enough?
Adderall has worked really for my son at a higher dosage. Every kid is different though!
Advertisements
for focus, Strattera has worked wonders for L, who is now 16 and myself, an adult dx'd with ADD.
My daughter started on Concerta over the weekend. Her special ed teacher just called me. He went to her regular classroom to observe her and was *astounded* in the improvement in her written work. He is going to send samples home - one from Friday and one from today. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but I thing this is helping!
Intuniv is a non-controlled medication that is supposed to help solely with focus issues.
My daughter is on both Adderall XR & Intuniv. Works like a charm for both the hyperactivity and focus issues. She went from scoring basic/minimal scores on her common assessments to proficient/advanced.
Advertisements
Intuniv is a non-controlled medication that is supposed to help solely with focus issues.
My daughter is on both Adderall XR & Intuniv. Works like a charm for both the hyperactivity and focus issues. She went from scoring basic/minimal scores on her common assessments to proficient/advanced.
Finally got in to see the dr on Monday. He didn't recommend Strattera as it only worked on a few in his experience. But, he added Intuniv. OMG! We have a child who can focus now. Behavior grades at school have been amazing this week, and his teacher said yesterday the class was so quiet she had to check to see if he was still there, and he was quietly doing the work he was supposed to! :) Huge success. Before he would have been in every one else's business.
Dr. did recommend a full psychological eval (of course, right before we move!) to ensure that there is nothing else going on. And then called to let us know to not bump him up to the next dose (he is on 1 mg), but would switch him to something else if the 1 mg didn't work because of his age/size. We haven't seen any side effects, so that is good.
Thank you for all your recommendations!