Advertisements
Advertisements
Here's a kinda odd question. My husband and I are both distance runners (marathon, etc) and we are adopting from Kaz. I was just curious if it's safe to run over there or if we would look absolutely insane. I'm fine if it's the latter and we will just plan to take some weeks off, but I know we'll have some free time so was curious!
We were in Aatana and there was a great paved walkway to run along the ishim river....not that I ever ran.
There were also several very large gyms.....not that i joined those either :-)
Advertisements
We went to Petropavlovsk for both adoptions. The hotel had a gym, fitness center and indoor pool.
Outside, I would be really concerned about twisting an ankle running on the unpaved streets. Also, do you know when you'll travel? There is ice for several months of the year.
EVERYBODY walks! You could definitely walk around safely in most Kaz regions and not look "insane". The only time I ever saw running was when the walkers were dodging the traffic. Pedestrians do NOT have the right of way.
I did see runners in Almaty but not in Uralsk. There was a gym in town though that I know some adoptive parents used. I don't think you would be in danger if you were seen jogging around Uralsk BUT you would definitely be an oddity :) and the Kazakhs have no problem staring at people! But if you don't care I think you would be perfectly safe!
Runners were not common to see in Almaty city where we were. In addition to what everyone else said (weather conditions, people staring, terrible pot holes in sidewalks etc.,) the polution in Almaty city would not make very good running conditions I don't think.
While we were absolutely not runners (wish we were!), our travel partners were. They were able to access the gym for the duration, as well as run around the city. The translator kind of mapped out different well run path options for them among city natives. They always felt safe going out for a run together. We lazy folk stayed behind. Now we have toddlers to chase after, so we are much more apt to embrace running - after them, that is!!!!
:)
Heather
Advertisements