Advertisements
Advertisements
With November just around the corner, many of you might be looking for ideas on how to celebrate National Adoption Awareness Month. To help those of you needing ideas, check out the following link for some great suggestions!
[URL="http://www.adoption.com/national-adoption-awareness-month/"]National Adoption Awareness Month 2007[/URL]
Even if you have no personal relationship with foster care adoption, which is what the month focuses on, there are many ideas on here that help celebrate adoption in general. No matter what type of adoption you do, it's fun to celebrate with others involved and spread the word! Positive messages surrounding ALL of our kids...that's something to celebrate indeed!
If anyone has anything to share that would give others ideas, please feel free to post!
I'm just not so into celebrating loss. Just not, can't do it, won't do, don't think its right to do it. Of course I want to see D celebrated, encouraged, loved, I don't think its fair to her to perpetuate the lies about how happy adoption is for everyone....which makes it complex for me to celebrate famlies that are formed though the loss of/to another family. Yes, I do recognise that many (about half I think, does anyone have the real number?) of first parents are happy with their agencies/family/decions/placement. Yes I realize that there are children who need a family. But the rest of us unhappy first parents, and adoptess who feel lost or unwanted need to be recognised too. "Celebration" I'm leave that to those who are happy about adoption as is.
I will light candle for famalies who have lost their children, and children who have lost their famalies though adoption. Maybe a quite protest outside court houses or an adoption angency, a pubic candle light vigial, a mass comming out of brith mothers.
Silence doesn't produce change, and I belive change is what adoption needs. Ohh, and the next aparent who tries to tell me "all about adoption", I'm going to tell them. Sweetly and polity give them a little adoption awareness from another point of view.
Advertisements
Rifilanna
I'm just not so into celebrating loss. Just not, can't do it, won't do, don't think its right to do it. Of course I want to see D celebrated, encouraged, loved, I don't think its fair to her to perpetuate the lies about how happy adoption is for everyone....which makes it complex for me to celebrate famlies that are formed though the loss of/to another family. Yes, I do recognise that many (about half I think, does anyone have the real number?) of first parents are happy with their agencies/family/decions/placement. Yes I realize that there are children who need a family. But the rest of us unhappy first parents, and adoptess who feel lost or unwanted need to be recognised too. "Celebration" I'm leave that to those who are happy about adoption as is.
I will light candle for famalies who have lost their children, and children who have lost their famalies though adoption. Maybe a quite protest outside court houses or an adoption angency, a pubic candle light vigial, a mass comming out of brith mothers.
Silence doesn't produce change, and I belive change is what adoption needs. Ohh, and the next aparent who tries to tell me "all about adoption", I'm going to tell them. Sweetly and polity give them a little adoption awareness from another point of view.
You are very hurt, and I am sorry for you. My heart hurts at your saddness. Adoption isn't the loss of anything. My children gained a family. The gained hope. The gained FOREVER! Didn't birth parents choose adoption for their child? In my case I will not even refer to them as birth parents, they are bio, in my book, and they lost their rights because they abused and neglected my children. I will celebrate the day, I will not be silenced, my children deserved a mother who loves them, they deserved a family.
Thank God for His example of adoption! (Several examples found in the Bible, by the way.) And thank God I was able to give life, place a healthy child into the arms of a couple truly willing and able to raise a son together, and go on with my life. I was only 15 and knew I was not ready to be a mother. I also knew that abortion was not the way to go. Adoption was a choice I could live with -- and have lived with it for 33 years. I have a special story, an experience to share that has helped me counsel young women and brought me close to adoptive couples throughout the years. Most importantly, adoption was a choice that gave this little boy a life. Wherever he is today I know he is much better off than he would've been if I'd tried to have a go at motherhood. My parents, who were experiencing hard times (with five kids to feed) would've ended up raising him. I put him in God's hands and I have no regrets.
So . . . I do celebrate adoption. Not just today or this month but every day!
Maybe during this month, i'll decide to send my birthmom her letter. the first letter i'll ever be sending to her - first communication with this woman :) now, i'm excited yet nervous.
I don't "celebrate" adoption either. It is too :cheer: rah, rah for me. That's not to say I am anti-adoption. I would rather see an Adoption Awareness Month that is about true education... not about promotion.
Advertisements