Advertisements
Advertisements
(This is copied from The Adoption Exchange webiste.)
College Cost Reduction and Access Act
On September 27, President Bush signed the College Cost Reduction and Access Act (HR 2669). The Fostering Adoption to Further Student Achievement Act was included in this piece of legislation. This is an important piece of legislation because under the new law, youth who are adopted after their 13th birthday will not have to include their parents' income when determining their eligibility for financial aid. Now, it is possible for teens in foster care to be adopted without losing access to college financial aid.
One barrier to the adoption of teenagers from foster care is that once adopted he or she can lose out on college financial aid due to his or her adoptive parents' financial situation, but if the teen stays in the system and ages-out, without an adoptive family, he or she is probably eligible for all available loans and grants. Senator Norm Coleman (R-MN) introduced the legislation in 2005 and explained: the benefits of family and education should go hand in hand, not stand in opposition to each other.
We live in Tx, here if the child qualifies for adoption subsidy, the child will recieve free tuition to any state college or technical, vocational school. :eyebrows: Unless I understood wrong.
Advertisements
Same here in Florida. I believe even if you don't get the adoption subsidy, the child receives free tuition for any college in our state. If he decides to go to another state, then they will have to qualify for financial aid based on parents income.
Here in Mass, all children who were adopted through Foster Care, or who aged out, get tuition waved at any state college/university. There is a bill at the state house up for vote soon, that will wave the fees as well.
some places it does matter...It is kinda strange here in TX from what I understand. There is a list that allows you to qualify. We get free tuition AND subsidy...."Mean ol' Conservatives" sure did good by our kids! Hooraay TX hehe
Advertisements