Advertisements
Advertisements
Any and all social workers please respond. I am currently in my Jr. year of college to be a s.w. I've always wanted to work for the state, but I'm kind of having second thoughts. I keep reading how most people do not like their s.w. and do not trust them. How do you deal with this? Also, the pay really sucks for all the hard work you have to go through to get a degree. I'm still going to get my degree, but do any of you have any advice?
bulrusmama
Thanks, guys! I will stick with it, I truly believe God is directing my path in this. We are on our third adoption and my husband is afraid I will want to keep going if I get into this field. Poor guy!
bulrusmama
Advertisements
I have been a social worker for almost a year now. It's something I had always wanted to do. All I can say is it has its ups and downs. My caseload varies so much with what's going on week to week it's always different. I have had the chance to meet so many wonderful people and kids through the job. However, on the flip side I have seen the worst of the worst. I haven't really had any experiences regarding people not trusting me on the job so I can't speak to that. It's been a great learning experience and certainly eye opening but it's becoming a struggle lately to not feel burnt out on a daily basis. I am working on my MSW and plan to eventually move into medical social work but this has given me some great experience. I definately reccomend trying it out because the social work field is so broad you will be able to apply your experience to any area in it.
I am a social worker, MSW, who works for CPS and I am somewhat surprised to hear people say that social workers have a bad reputation. I would certainly say that, in general, state employees (all of them, not just social workers) have a bad reputation but no SW's specifically. That is not to say that I haven't met my share of bad SW's but you will find bad apples in every field.
What I love about being a SW is that the job opportunuties are so varied. You can work in schools, hospitals and even private practice with the right licensure level. I live in the southwestern US and the pay here for MSW's is pretty good and there is also plentiful and interesting contract work available for those who are motivated.
If you want to make a huge amout of money, it is probably not the field for you. If you want to make a decent living and you can treat disadvantaged or oppressed or suffering people with humanity and compassion, it's a great opportunity to help people and have an interesting career.
have you considered working for a adoption agency as a social worker.we loved our sw.as a adoptive parent,i think you would be a great asset to a adoption agency.and what could be better than helping build forever families.
I am a Masters level social worker. Since I graduated in 1995, I've worked in a crisis center, community mental health clinic, housing agency, prison, and state psychiatric hospital. I have been a New York State employee for seven years; my salary nearly doubled when I joined the state, and I make a very nice salary with great benefits. State employees do get a bad rap, but I find that as the "old timers" retire, a new crop of really dedicated staff has replaced them. I get great supervisory support, and my colleagues and I are really at work for the right reasons. In fact, I just started an ACT team and was able to choose my staff....they are fabulous and we really enjoy our work and our work environment. I would encourage you to continue in social work, and to consider the MSW degree, which broadens your opportunities and is licensable.
Advertisements
I am planning for my MSW. I want to work in all kinds of areas! I want to do adoption stuff, foster care stuff, just about anything, it all interests me. I am 41 years old and am in my Jr. year of college. Oh how I wish I had listened to my heart and NOT my guidance counsellor when I was 18 years old!
bulrusmama
As an adoption social worker, I can say that you should not rely on others to make the decision for you. The work that I and you will soon do when you become a social worker is far more important and valuable than the dumb paper $. Finish your degree, get your LMSW, then you'll need your DSW, then you need to get a federal grant to follow your dreams :)
As a social worker, I would say you have to listen to your heart and find out what you enjoy. If you are currently taking classes in this area, something must have drawn you to it. The work is very difficult, and the pay is usually fairly low considering the importance of social workers. However, the trade off is being able to do something that you know is serving others. The personal joy and victories can make it worthwhile. Also- there are many types of jobs when it comes to social work, so just find the area that you find the most enjoyable. I will say- it can be very tough, and rarely will you hear a "thank you" but if you enjoy knowing that you are doing something that is very important- it can be totally worth it. Good luck.
I am a MSW and LCSW. I really just wanted to point out that many (in my experience most) case workers for the state are NOT social workers. Many people aren't aware of that. Most county caseworkers I know (and I have worked community mental health and am currently a therapist with an adoption/foster care agency in addition to being a foster parent) have a bachelors in psych or communication or something like that. Social work is a field you have to be passionate about...no advice other than be prepared!
Advertisements
In my state, all it takes to be a worker for DHS or DCS is a Bachelor's...it does NOT have to be in social work. So, that may be why some workers get that bad rep. My state must have a really high need because the requirements are low.
I have a friend who is a case worker for DHS and she has a Bachelor's in General Studies. That means she actually didn't major in anything. I didn't even know that was possible!
Make it possitive for yourself and never mind the attitudes out there in regards to any field, ie. social work. At day's end, each and every day, you tally the important things you accomplished. As an adoption worker, your daily work of providing guidance toward a successful adoption placement should provide you with job fullfillment.
Did u mean If I have a master in social worker,I wont make a living on it ,Please let me know be cos I have a bachelor degree in social work but I am waiting to do my master degree in social work before I can look for a Job as a social work ,What did you suggest
Did u mean If I have a master in social worker,I wont make a living on it ,Please let me know be cos I have a bachelor degree in social work but I am waiting to do my master degree in social work before I can look for a Job as a social work ,What did you suggest
Advertisements
Hi and congratulations on your career decision!
I have been a FP for the state for 6 years. I have had the same worker all 6 years! I love my worker! I trust her so far. We are currently going through our first adoption so I will update you! LOL!
I know my worker is very busy 99.9% of the time and she is not a lazy worker at all! She is very on top of all emails,paperwork and she truely loves the kids!
Please know how much respect I have for you guys as workers! No way could I deal with all the drama of the bios on a day to day bases like the workers do! Then to support RU when you know its not best for the child BUTT (my worker and I have a personal way we use the word but:evilgrin: ) you have to offer the RU plan!
I am sure you will be great at whatever career decision you make! Good Luck