Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi everyone. Our family is a mix of Jewish and Christian and I am having a seder for 8 people. I have only done it once or twice in my life and I would like traditional food and maybe some ideas where I can find some good recipes (preferably on the internet).
Also does anyone know of a short fun Hagadah? I'm sorry I think I misspelled that.
Thanks!
Hello,
You didn't say if you are the Jewish partner or if your spouseis, so please forgive me if I tell you something too obvious.
You probably know that most people serve Matzah ball soup on pesach. I usually buy a mix and boil veggies in it to flavor the broth. I also like to make a chicken or turkey marinated in orange, lemon, and lime juice with honey -- I found the recipe online but can't seem to find it now. Please pm me if you want it. Alot of people make brisket for pesach, but I find it difficult to find a good recipe that avoids all the forbidden ingredients.
If you want traditional food, you can look up Joan Nathan online: [url=http://www.pbs.org/mpt/jewishcooking/]Jewish Cooking in America with Joan Nathan[/url] or you can probably google passover recipes. The main thing is avoiding grains like flour, rice (for some), corn, etc.
There is some yummy passover candy out there, and people who love Coke look forward to the passover Coke with the yellow top because it uses sugar cane instead of corn syrup. That's what I get for living in Atlanta LOL. I can't tell the difference but some swear they can.
Good luck,
Judith
Advertisements
I'm the Jewish partner so I know some of it but the advice about the Matzah Ball Soup is exactly what I"m looking for!
I am actually making a brisket and got a good recipe (the woman who usually invites us was kind enough to give me hers) I don't worry too much about keeping perfectly kosher because of our situation. I have to make the brisket in honor of DH who LOVES it. I have also gotten him to like certain other Jewish foods but it's so funny because he can't stand the Matzah Ball Soup! And of course I love it.
Thank you so much.
(A bit of a late reply, but I was on a business trip without access to personal internet sites)
Matza ball soup - does your husband object to the texture of matza balls? (Floaters vs. sinkers) try to make some with both textures, fluffy or firm
Salmon steaks in a marinade of dry sherry wine, finely sliced shallots, chopped garlic, fresh basil leaves, salt to taste.
Leg of lamb (4-5 lbs) - the evening before, rub the meat with a marinade made from a 1/4 cup of olive oil, 3 to 8 garlic teeth (depending on your preference, I am usually a bit heavy handed), 1/2 cup of chopped fresh parsley. The next day, brown the meat on both sides under the broiler in your oven. Use a pan that has a cover. Then add 2 cups of chicken stock and 1 cup of dry white wine, a bit of salt. Put on the cover and cook the meat on low/medium heat for about 5-6 hrs, until it is tender. Baste frequently.
If you are interested, I have a few more suggestions!
Hag Pesach kasher ve'sameach!
Make a flourless chocolate cake for dessert!!!! You will have to make it the night before & chill it so that it keeps it's shape but it's worth it. There are a bunch of recipes for them on the internet. I always make mine with butter although many people subsitute margarine if they keep kosher & don't want to serve a dairy dessert after a meat meal (I'm guessing you don't keep kosher any more than I do though since we both seem to be in "mixed" marriages). Oh yeah, and cover it with whipped cream.
As for hagadahs (sp?), you could try a Judaica store or a Barnes & Noble's. I have to admit though that I was almost 30 before I realized that not everyone used the free ones from Manishewitz that the liquour store gave out! LOL! They may be out of them by now since Passover is so soon, but I'd certainly check if I were you -- for many of us the free haggadahs (I think Maxwell House Coffee used to give them out free, too) were as much of a tradition as the sweet Manishewitz wine! LOL!
Brisket is always a good main course (as long as you don't have any vegans at the seder) and you can make it ahead of time. My husband is a non-Jew from Texas who had no idea that brisket was "Jewish" food -- I told him that I had no idea that cowboys ate brisket!
I just got back from the grocery store and am doing the Happy-Happy Dance! I was looking for a roasting duck in 2 different stores yesterday, and today I found two!! :) That means I won't have to go shopping again before the Chag!!
So, we're having Lamb Osso Bucco, Duck a l'orange and roast chicken (which the younger kids will definitely eat).
We're having 26 guests, so I was a bit stressed about putting it all together. Now I'm set!
Hag Pesach kasher ve'sameach!! Kosher and Happy Pesach to all! :)
Advertisements