Advertisements
Advertisements
The bmom of the kids I am hoping to adopt, named their godmother as a resource after 1.5 yrs of being care. I am not familiar with the role a godmother would play in foster/adoption. Any thoughts?
meshsgrl
The bmom of the kids I am hoping to adopt, named their godmother as a resource after 1.5 yrs of being care. I am not familiar with the role a godmother would play in foster/adoption. Any thoughts?
I can't speak for everywhere, but where I am that MIGHT qualify as "kinship". It would depend on whether she actually had a relationship with the child or not. For example - when I got FS: dad had put forward the names of two family friends as resources, and I put my name in as his teacher. I was deemed to be the only true 'kinship' qualifier, since I had a pre-existing relationship with the child (the two family friends really only had a relationship with the parents).
Advertisements
In CA, they have a term "non-related extended family member." That was/is me because I had been FD's volunteer Big Sister for six years before she went into care. So I agree with poster stevenstwin - it depends on the state and the relationship. I'm not considered kinship though.
In our state it would be considered "fictive kinship" and the relative would be considered as a possible placement, assuming she had a relationship with the child at some point.
I don't know how the judge in your case will rule, but I'll say one thing: any judge that moves kids from a home they've been in for a year and a half to move them to a virtual stranger who didn't step up for that entire time is OUT OF HIS MIND.
(Hmmm....phrased that with my usual diplomacy, I see! :-) )
I don't know how the judge in your case will rule, but I'll say one thing: any judge that moves kids from a home they've been in for a year and a half to move them to a virtual stranger who didn't step up for that entire time is OUT OF HIS MIND.
They have only been in MY home for 5 months, they were in 2 other foster homes. The kids don't know her, and the judge likes AA kids with AA families!
I am scared of what it would do to the kids if they were moved AGAIN!They don't have attachment disorders but really struggle with a fear that I will leave them too!
Advertisements
meshsgrl
They have only been in MY home for 5 months, they were in 2 other foster homes. The kids don't know her, and the judge likes AA kids with AA families!
I am scared of what it would do to the kids if they were moved AGAIN!They don't have attachment disorders but really struggle with a fear that I will leave them too!
If they don't know her, then I think it would be a sad thing to move them to her :-( I don't really have an opinion on the race issue - I'd like to say that it doesn't matter and shouldn't count, but perhaps I'd feel differently if I were African-American. I know I briefly fostered a few Native children a long time ago, and that was always a huge issue in their community as well. I clearly remember one frustrated (Native) Social Worker saying to the tribal council "I don't really care if she's white, brown, or PURPLE! She's the only one who loves this kid right now..."
meshsgrl
My little "Erica" was moved to her bio-sister's Godmother's house. It was considered a kinship placement even though they were no relation. Because the person was a Godmother to one of the children and requested to take all three girls, they were moved to her home (after a homestudy). However, this Godparent called CPS within days of the girls being removed. And the girls did know her and have a relationship with her.
In your case, the godparent is a stranger to the kids. Also, she may not actually be a "godmother". Maybe people in my area call family friends "Godmother" and even things like "God Aunt" and "God Cousin" but there is no formal relationship between them. The woman in your case might just be a family friend. Ask the kids attorney to request the baptismal certificate stating her relationship to make sure she's even a godparent before considering her as a resource.
I don't understand why the godmother would not have come forward already. I am a godmother and if my godson was in fostercare, I would know right away. As far I am concerned, she lost her opportunity (as if anybody asked me).
Advertisements