Advertisements
Advertisements
Does anyone know of an adult that changed their surname from their adopted parent's to their birth father's surname?
I was adopted and my adopted father passed-away when I was young, and I no longer have any contact with his family.
I do know my birth father's last name, and as it's his blood in my veins I feel that I should have his last name. Is this too strange- too far out of the norm?
Thanks for your input- not an easy decision.
1 Liked
 likes this.
My bio brother (adopted into a different family then I was) disowned his adoptive family and legally changed his name back to our birth family name. Our bio father died when we were just kids. He had no contact with our birth family but felt it necessary to do so anyway. You also have your birth mom's blood in your veins -- why not change it to her or hyphenate it? What is your connection with your adoptive family? Personally I wouldn't change my name back to my birth last name but you need to do what you feel is right for you.
Samantha
Advertisements
It's a big decision to change your surname. Do you not have good memories of the man who raised you? Do you feel "disowned" by your paternal adoptive relatives?
FWIW--this is complicated :)
1. our ason K was our nephew.
2. My husband and BIL were both adopted at birth.
3. When K was born, my BIL and his "wife" decided to give K his birth surname--so this child had no last name like anyone in the family.
4. When we adopted K, his surname was changed to our last name--matching his birth father. The original surname became his middle name.
Maybe add the birth surname as a middle name?
I say do as you wish, knowing in your heart it is what you truly wish. I know of a lady that she and son reunited after been relinquished for 20 + yrs., he wanted to change his name back to his surname of origins. They simply had an attorney present this to the judge, and it was so! All are happy! Blessings to you and no matter your reasons..it is your choice...C.J.
1 Liked
 likes this.
Are you a woman? If so, I wouldn't go through the trouble of changing my name as you will probably have to change it again someday when you marry. There are so many things you have to change when your last name changes - social security, personal checks, credit cards, employer forms, doctor's records, etc., etc. It's just a pain in the behind. Men have it easy as they never have to go through the name change ordeal.
wishfulthinker
Are you a woman? If so, I wouldn't go through the trouble of changing my name as you will probably have to change it again someday when you marry. There are so many things you have to change when your last name changes - social security, personal checks, credit cards, employer forms, doctor's records, etc., etc. It's just a pain in the behind. Men have it easy as they never have to go through the name change ordeal.
If you want to change it, do it. Even if you are a woman you don't have to change your name if you get married. I didn't. I've always had the same last name.
2 Liked
and  like this.
Advertisements
Iv been thinking of adding my biological fathers name to mine. Regardless of who raised me my biological father and mother are where I came from . I love my adoptive family very much , however; It is my bio mother and father’s blood that runs through my veins.
your name should be whatever you want it to be. everyone has a right to a name change. non-adoptees change their surnames when they get married, or divorced, or famous, or just cause they dont like their original surname. if you want to change your surname than do it!
however. blood doesn't mean anything. i have my bio father's blood running through my veins and i went by his surname for a good 18 years. i changed it. no one is indebted to those who's blood they share. blood =/= importance.
if you want to honor your bio parents then do it. but because you want to. not because their blood is in you. saying you "should" have a name tied to blood conveys the message that everyone should have a name tied to blood. that is a hurtful notion for a lot of people, myself included. instead reexamine why you want their surname. is it because you love them? because they loved you? because they made the right decision? or the wrong one? or no decision at all? any reason is valid and i support you.
but end this "should" + "blood" stuff. means nothing.