Advertisements
Advertisements
I am a single male living in Mississippi. I am 30 years old. I have been a volunteer in the Boy Scouts of America for the last 8 years and am heavily involved in the youth ministry at church. I am seeking advice on non state-licensed adoption agencies. I am interested in adopting a child age 10 to 13 or fostering a child 10-17. I started this journey three years ago by contacting the local DHS branch. They denied to license me but refused to give me any reasons.
Therefore, I found a private agency who is licensed by DHS and they placed a child with me. I had the child for four months before they found an adoptive home for him. Letting him go was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. At that point I decided I didn't want to foster anymore because it was too difficult emotionally. I decided the next child to come to my home would be permanent. So, I contacted a local adoption agency (my current agency only does fostering, not adoptions.)
I have been working with the adoption agency for 8 months and everything was going smoothly, they did all the background checks, abuse checks, and references. All of which I passed with flying colors. The social worker told me she could not understand why DHS chose to turn me down. It took them many months to get DHS to even talk to them about me and when they finally did, DHS sent them an e-mail recommended they do not license me. Because the adoption agency is licensed by DHS, they are "afraid" to license me because they don't want DHS to get mad at them.
I am tired of DHS throwing up roadblocks to my adopting. Does anyone out there know of an agency that is not licensed by a state-sponsored DHS? Do I need to get a lawyer and sue DHS for discrimination? Is there anyone who can help me?
Any updates? Your situation just frustrates me. We are constantly being told how many kids need positive male role models, yet here you are and you're being turned down! I hope you've hired an attorney or at least escalated the situation within DHS.
Advertisements
I found an agency that is not beholden to DHS. I told them my story and they told me they have heard similar stories in the past. They seem very open to the idea of a single male adopting. Something about this new agency just feels right.
I likely will not bother suing Mississippi DHS. I think it would be a better use of my resources to put them toward whatever fees will be associated with an adoption rather than giving the money to a lawyer for what would likely be a long and drawn-out legal battle.
I have a cousin (much older than me) that adopted as a single male. I was young when all this happened, but he and I have talked at length now that I am grown and my husband and I have adopted children of our own.
He adopted three teenage boys. None of them were related before the adoption, so it was three different cases.
IT CAN BE DONE!!!! There are soooo many children that need a good family, just hang in there!!!
Haabda
I found an agency that is not beholden to DHS. I told them my story and they told me they have heard similar stories in the past. They seem very open to the idea of a single male adopting. Something about this new agency just feels right.
I likely will not bother suing Mississippi DHS. I think it would be a better use of my resources to put them toward whatever fees will be associated with an adoption rather than giving the money to a lawyer for what would likely be a long and drawn-out legal battle.
That is Wonderful news that you found the right agency. Congratulations!
What a great attitude about where to put your money and time. Some child is going to be lucky to call you Daddy!
Please keep us posted as you progress.
Things are going well with the new agency. They don't do the home study until you complete the training. I'm attending the training classes and will update when I have more news.
Advertisements
Hey, that's great news!!! :clap:
My home study just got approved last week also! Now comes the fun part of finding that right match!
Good luck to you!
Advertisements
I agree! You need to get an Adoption attorney to look into this for you. Don't get just any attorney. They are supposed to tell you Why you were denied.
That may be true. But then again, suing them may make them re-consider the next time they don't follow policy on someone else. That is the problem, nobody wants to take the time to go up against them. The whole system needs to be re-vamped, but we can't get it done individually.
So what is involved in the child study??
I am a single male looking to adopt a daughter. I have two children a daughter and a son. I would just like to raise a daughter on my own. I think there is a special relationship between a father and daughter.
If you could provide details on what I should expect or what I can do to make things better or easier. Any help would be appreciated.
Shane
You must go through a training program and a home study. Be ready for your life to become an open book. No question is truly off-limits.
Because you already have children (especially if you have raised them as a single man), you should little issue getting licensed.
DHS's issue with me was my relatively young age and the fact that I had never had my own children. They saw me as a potential pedophile. Through much prayer and pursuit, I was licensed with a private out-of-state agency and completed the adoption of my son last November. My DS came to live with me when he was 13 and I finalized the adoption when he was 14.
If you get turned down, keep trying.
Advertisements
I did not raise my children on my own. There mother raised them and I was not there most of the time. I have been there lately and have developed a good relationship with them. I just want an opportunity to do it myself.
My question was. What is involved in a home study. What do they look for? Any pointers?
Shane
The home study is a comprehensive look at everything about you & your home!
They look at your home and make sure it's suitable for raising a child- that it's in good repair, has adequate space, that you have a fire extinguisher & carbon monoxide & smoke detectors, that any firearms you may own are stored safely. Is there appropriate bedroom space for the number of children you have, are boys & girls separated.
They also look at you. Your views on parenting, your motivation for wanting to adopt or foster children. They look at your childhood and how that influences your views today. They look at your relationship with your parents & siblings. Are you a close family? Is the family estranged from each other? Are you married, single widowed or divorced?
They'll talk to references you provide, do they think you're a suitable for parenting? They look at finances- do you have a stable job/income and the ability to provide for a child. They'll look at your tax records. They look to make sure you have auto insurance. They'll want a physical to make sure you're reasonably healthy and will be around until the child reaches adulthood.
They'll look at the age/sex/race/behaviors of the children you would be interested in adopting/fostering. Are you prepared for parenting? Are you okay with fire starters? Someone who may be cruel to pets? Are you ok with a child who chronically masturbates (seriously, my paperwork had this one a few times!) What will be ok and what would you consider off limits? Are you easy going or serious? Do you have adequate training for any special needs of the children you take in?
My study had a few pages that I wrote about my experiences and motivation.
In the end, your home study will be about 15 - 20 pages and will give social workers a good idea on you and help them determine if you'd be a good fit for the children they have in care and making sure you are matched with the right one.