Advertisements
Advertisements
I'm sure there are many posts about this, but wasn't sure where to look.
In the last year I have had some medical issues and I may be applying for disability. Can I still foster? And if I can how will being quilified with a disability change fostering (as far as Dhs is concerned)? And will foster care payments change anything with disability payments?
Thanks to anyone who may have some insight!
My husband is on Social Security disability and I work full time, we were told it makes no difference as long as we make enough money to support ourselves each month without relying on the foster care reimbursement, which we do. Good luck!
Advertisements
Social Security doesn't care or know that we foster, but now that I'm thinking about it, there are 2 different Social Security disabilitly programs. The first one is SSDI, where your disability is based on what you paid into the system, its really insurance and there is no limit on household income as you have worked for the benefit.
Then there is SSI, which is basically for people who haven't worked enough credit quarters to qualify for SSDI and fall below the poverty level. On SSI they do care about total family income and it may make a difference. If you are going on SSDI you should be fine, SSI may be different.
Thanks again!!
It would be SSDI. I worked outside the home before I became a full time stay at home mom. I am just beginning the process and you have been a great help!