Advertisements
Advertisements
My AS currently receives $7/day for his adoption stipend. After receiving our yearly agreement, I sent back in a letter requesting $15/day. They have scheduled a board hearing at his county to 'discuss' the request (2nd week in Aug). The foster care rate for our agency in PA is $31/day (basic level) and certified therapuetic homes (like from where he came from his agency) go for $35-40+/day. When he was first placed he was PTSD and ODD, with lying, stealing and some MINOR aggression (threw a shoe at foster mom, pulled hand back to hit foster mom but didn't, etc). He had never had any suspension from school.
After 3 years with us, he has been diagnosed ADHD, PTSD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Physical abuse of a child. He has increased his aggression/rage/tantrum on several occasions over the past year where he has broken a storm glass door, bent his glasses beyond repair (had to get new ones), bruised/bit/punched/kicked me & hubby (on one occasion only), and has been suspended in school and out of school on several occasions. The last one being a 2 week out of school suspension for punching a kid at school. Hubby had to lose his one job in order to stay home during that time frame and hasn't been able to find a replacement yet (he does still have his part time job). AS has been participated in a 2 week partial in patient program for his anger management and is currently receiving in home services (all this was covered by his medical assistance insurance).
So my question is, other than lost wages, physical property damage, and day care costs for a 14yr old in summer and nonschool days, what other things (that would be applicable) can we use to justify an increase in his subsidy?
I hope they listen to you and increase the subsidy!
Here are some suggestions, they may not all apply to your situation but they're at least food for thought:
Gas/car costs to and from his therapy sessions and doctor's appointments and pharmacy (to pick up his prescriptions), etc.
Parking, restaurant meals, overnight stays, etc that are the result of those same trips.
Your medical costs from his assaults (even count the costs of bandaids and ice).
The cost of minutes on your cell phone from fielding all the phone calls about his behavior /counseling /doctors /medications.
Any long distance charges as well.
Have you needed to purchase items to secure things in your house? Like a bedroom safe, or locked cabinet for knives, or safe deposit box?
Has your homeowner's insurance gone up because of claims to it based on damage he's done? Do you expect this to happen soon? (Same question about car insurance. Start thinking about his driving years now. Whether you'll permit him to get his permit and license, how car insurance will view him with his record, etc.)
Are his numerous suspensions likely to result in expulsion? If so, will he have to attend another school that will result in costs for you? (longer transportation, different hours, perhaps a home school that would cost more wages, or at least cost a computer and internet connection?)
I wish you success!
Advertisements
I was under the impression that the adopton subsidy continued at the same rate as foster care rate in PA?
Am I wrong in thinking that our rate will continue after adoption..my kids are mr and autisic..CP:confused:
DianeS - Thank you! Those were the very things I need to consider, write down, bring documentation and justify! I guess next week I'll need to gather my thoughts on all this. Im also going to call the PA State Subsidy POC in HBG and see if she has any other thoughts.
Cpreitz - No, the subsidy at the foster care rate once you have an adoption agreement is not a gaurantee! You have to negotiate it and what the law states is that the adoption rate can be negotiated UP TO the foster care rate. In our case, AS's adoption was finalized TEN WEEKS after his placement with us, even though the state typically requires 6 months. Your children's medical needs/diagnoses do lend itself to receiving a higher rate than Im getting now for AS, but it doesn't automatically mean you'll get the rate you are getting now.
I'm in NY. I wanted to the highest level of care. all documentation from the school will help. Also a statement of your husband having to give up his job. Documentation from anyone who's had contact with him should help.
Advertisements
I just wanted to update, to say we got the increase, without any fight. I can't believe it! They said I had provided so much documentation it had helped the situation.