Advertisements
Advertisements
Does anyone out there have any insight on how children who are abandoned are given names? Are they given first, middle and last names pulled out of a hat? And, for example if a little boy has a middle name ending in "......ovic:, would that indicate he had a parent name him? Just one of those weird things going through my my mind as I go through this process:)
I'm not sure what you mean by "abandoned", but I can say that it is not common that children are anonymously abandoned in Russia, like the practice in China. There is usually at least a little social history for most children who are adoptable, and I think names are given by birth mom, or some how derived from the details that are known about her. She has to sign relinquishment documentation and most of what I have seen is that at least the child's last name is derived from her name.
Advertisements
I guess I was talking about children left at the maternity ward at the hospital or something. I have read quite a bit on these forums about nurses or orphanages naming the children...so I wondered about how that was done. I have a hard time believing many children are left at the orphanage doorstep...sounds a little to movie like....but again, I really don't know much about it at this point so who knows! We plan on keeping our sons name, and it would be nice to be able to tell him his birth mother named him or at least have the background for him on how and who named him.
Unfortunately I dont have any valuable information to add here. I was also wondering where my child's name came from. Legally once we got home we made her first name her middle name. My gut feeling is the baby home named her, but I dont know for sure. Amy K, NJ
I was told that the hospital named both of my children. I do not know if it is true.
My son's name happens to be the same as the saint whose feast day is on his birthday. (I have heard that sometimes they do that... and sometimes there's a "list" and the next baby boy gets the next boy name on the list.) His patronymic was the male form of his mother's, so I assume it's based on his bio grandfather's name. His surname is the same as his biological mother's.
DD's name was identical to her biological mother's -- first, patronymic, and last.
My daughters bio mom did not name her. She tried to take her home from the hospital but when she was not allowed, she took off without naming the baby. When the state called me for placement, they asked me to name her which I thought was great. The only problem was that she was an unexpected baby and I hadn't even thought about girl names and they only gave me a day to think about it and make up my mind.
Advertisements
DD was named after the director at the orphanage, it was considered an honor.
We were told DS had his name on a piece of paper pinned to his coat but we were never able to verify this.
I heard about an abandoned baby boy that was found on the day of Putin's inauguration and the baby home named him Vladimir.
My oldest daughter's birthmom left her at the hospital. She walked off the table after delivery. I can not even imagine. However, my daughter has FAS and I can imagine. So anyhow, she left all false information about her name and address. The nurses at the hospital named her. this I actually do believe b/c all info form bm was false. It's hard for our daughter as there is no way for us to find her.