Advertisements
Advertisements
My husband and I are wanting to start the process to become foster parents and eventually possibly to adopt. He just got a interview for a job that will require us to live about a hour from the nearest town. We would really like to foster infants we have 2 biological daughters and we think a infant would be the best fit for our family. But I worry because the office the cw's work from would be in the town that is a hour away. I am just wondering if this would pose a problem for us trying to get licensed? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
It depends on your area. In my area, if you're willing to transport the kids to their visits they'll place with you. DHS only has to come out 1x/month and we live in a huge county. So it's likely that workers have to drive 1+ hour to see FPs.
In my area we aren't paid for mileage. So even though I can take kids from anywhere in my county, we have to be realistic because it's not fun to drive over an hour 2x/week for visits when you're not getting reimbursed for gas.
Advertisements
i live a 1/2 hour from the nearest town. Sure, the foster related trips take more time, but so does everyting else: groceries, ymca classes, shoe shopping.
just like with every other task, we have learned to combine it with other city needs
It has not limited our placements. In fact, I know of 5 or 6 foster homes in my little area. Sometimes getting kids out of the city is a good thing
We're 45 minutes from our DCS office. I have had caseworkers that had to go almost 2 hours away to visit kids, but they were not placed that far away initially. The foster parents moved. This is a large metropolitan area though.
Advertisements
I live outside of a tiny rural hamlet about 50 minutes away from our county DHS. None of my friends or neighbors have had any problem at all getting licensed for foster care. Considering the small size of my hamlet/village, it's surprising how many folks are foster parents here. The only hassle is having to travel to the county seat on a regular basis, as well as doctors' and therapists' offices.