Advertisements
Advertisements
when finding local dr/dentists Do you need to mention child's cp diagnosis - they can't discriminate can they ? or are some places really not able to handle ?
It depends if the child can comply with directions in the same manner another child of thier age can for a dentist. CP is a pretty board description. Personally, I will never take my daughter to a doctor who is not familiar with working with severely disabled kids, so I always tell when I am setting up an appointment. I have been turned into CPS 3 times (the only times I have been turned in) by medical providers who were not familiar with my children's natural state.
Yes, they can discriminate legally but your bigger issue is you are going to want someone who is able to understand and help your child. If your's child's CP only makes her not be able to walk, then you probably don't really have to worry much about telling them in advance. If it affects her behavior or ability to communicate and follow directions (like my DD physically cannot hold her head still) then you probably should be up front when you schedule the appointment.
Advertisements