Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello,
Our girl is 12 and got F's and D's the whole school year the school is still going to pass her on to the seventh grade. We tried everything to get her to improve her grades but nothing worked so we just figured getting retained would be the consequence but she's not getting retained. So we also said that if she didn't improve her grades by then end of the school year, then she'd have to attend summer school instead of going to summer camp. Only problem is that the summer school we were going to enroll her in has changed their curriculum and tripled their rates! There are no all day summer schools with reasonable rates and within driving distance (since we both work). So now I feel like she "got away" with not doing her homework, etc. all year and don't know what to do next. I fear that this will teach her that she doesn't have to try very hard to succeed and she gets a free ride. We were hoping to return her privileges to her this summer, but now we can't and can look forward to a summer of her being difficult because she has no privileges and is bored and another year of her struggling in school because it doesn't matter.
You can't get financial assistance through the school district? I'm surprised the school isn't telling her she needs to go..
Advertisements
Well, the school she currently attends only offers summer classes for kids through grades six and since she is entering the seventh grade, she is ineligible. The other program was at a "learning center" that offers tutoring. They have an all day program for summer but we can't afford that. I suggested that we have her take online classes but if we drop her off at summer CAMP all day while we are at work, there isn't any time for her to get on the computer and get work done. The thing is, she has RAD and wants control. She keeps saying she wants to earn her privileges back by improving her grades but it never happened and now she wants that opportunity to get good grades over the summer so she can have fun, but is it just another opportunity to have something to control? My hubby said that we should tell her that she didn't get her grades up in time and it's too late and she'll just have to wait until school starts up again to try again with the grades and privileges. Nothing to control. She even suggested online classes but she way too immature to be home alone all day. She can't be trusted.
Have you tried talking to the school and insisting that they retain her in 6th grade? Sometimes they will take the parents' perspectives into account, especially if you remain firm. If you initially get resistance, keep going up the hierarchical ladder (principal, superintendent, school board if you have to). If you can get them to do so, your daughter should also be eligible for summer school.
Yes, they have a committee and we've asked that they reconsider their decision and gave them a lengthy letter as to why we believe they retain her, but they have not changed their decision and their response was that due to all the changes Ariana has expirienced this past year, they believe it would be in her benefit to pass her on and that it would do more harm than good to retain her. There are some summer school classes offered in our school district but they are only half day and that conflicts with our work schedules. Thanks for your input! Keep it coming!
Could one of you tap into vacation & family leave (or even switch off), so she could be at home this summer and do online classes?
Advertisements