Advertisements
Advertisements
Could someone give me a break down how Fast Track works in TPR cases?
Are there different laws that need to be upheld? Would it be possible to get a link to this information also?
I'm asking because from my understanding the goal is adoption for two children, one of who I am related to, so am in the process of doing kinship for him (and also taking his older sister, since no other family is stepping up for her.) The kids were removed in late April but were under 'review' (of some type) since September 2011. And there is past history of CPS on the mother. (The father of the baby is my cousin.)
So any in put is appreciated. Thanks!
As far as I know, "fast track" is usually a term used caseworkers use to mean that they don't offer the parents services (or suspend the parents' services very early in the case) and file for TPR at the six month mark.
The case of one of my daughters was fast tracked -- TPR was granted eight months after she came into care. My current soon-to-be-adopted son's case was fast tracked -- his parents' rights were terminated six months after he came into care.
Advertisements
Thank you, TRas.
The parents have already been told CPS is going for TPR, but they still have a plan and are working it. So, just kinda assuming that this kids might be on fast track so wanted some info. Glad to know it's at least 6 months, so I have some type of timeline in my head.
Thanks for info.
My daughter was removed at birth and fast tracked. It means that they filed for TPR immediately without offering the birth parents a caseplan or any services. TPR was granted when she was just 3 months old and her adoption was finalized when she was 6.5 months old. I don't know if the rules are the same everywhere, but in my state, they can only fast track under certain circumstances. In my daughter's case, it was because her birth mother had 7 prior TPRs and her birth father was unknown.
They offer the plan because by law they must, but the state indends to pursue TPR as quickly as possible. This usually means at the one year mark. In other cases, parents can get up to two years if the state thinks they might possibly be able to parent, but it sounds like in your case, the state knows that will never happen,so thye are not putting any effort into RU.
We had a placement that was supposedly 'fast tracked.' Kids were in care for a second time, less than a year after the first one was closed. CPS identified the goal as adoption by a non-relative from the very start. They tried to show there were aggravating circumstances so that TPR could happen immediately. The judge didn't go for it, so services were offered. The kids were with us 10 months before moving to therapeutic. From my understanding, rights were finally terminated at the 18 month mark.
Advertisements