Advertisements
Advertisements
I thought my first post on this forum should be me telling you about my self. I have two children that were adopted. The first one is now 6 and the other is 3. When the birthmom surprised me and said that she was 5 months pregnant I told her my worries about what my parents would say. I was afraid and felt she should know. But then I said that no matter what I would be there. She made the decision to place her up for adoption. Despite the fact that I did not want to do this I stood by her side through it. It was one of the hardest things I ever did. After the adoption was complete, everyone expected me to leave. The adopted parents treated me like I was nothing and the adoption agency offered me no help. They spent their time parsing the birthmom and making sure she had support.
The birthmom spent the next 3 years treating me like garbage. She blamed me for the adoption and want me to suffer. And I did. She lied to me, about me, and did everything to make me feel horrible. This is just s short breakdown of what she did. There are some things that happened that are too painful to talk about. And despite this I stayed. I feel like it was my fault and like maybe I did deserve it. But after some family issues arouse I could not continue to be treated like she was treating me and deal with the issues going on I decided to breakup with her. About a week later she gave birth to my second kid. She had been lying for months about being pregnant again. When I found out I wanted to do nothing but run there and see my kid. I though "finally, I can have the chance I didn't get." But she told me the only way she would not put my daughter up for adoption was if I came back to her. I was not ready. She did not treat me good and nothing changed except the fact that she had another one of my kids. I was worried about the idea of being with her, being treated the same, dealing with the lying, uncontrollable spending, and trying to raise a kid with someone that did not value anyones opinion and feeling but her owns. She I said I couldn't do it but I still did not want to go through with the adoption. The next day the calls started. She adoption agency called and threatened me. They claimed I was abusing her and if I did not sign my rights away they would make sure she pressed charges. They said " the least I can do with everything I did to her was sign my rights away." I never abused her. I never hit her. In fact, the only person that ever hit someone in the relationship was her hitting me because I said she was acting like her mother(her mother was a abusive person that expected everyone to do everything she said, to never question what she did, and would treat her dad like crap). Unfortunately, as a man(and a black man) I know that it would be my word against her and theirs. I knew that she could go to the police and lie and with the adoption agency on her side would probably get away with it. So I signed away my rights.
A year after this we once again tried this again . At first she seemed to have changed but now we are right back fighting the same fights. She lies but gets mad that I don't trust her. And now she wants a kid. She just turned 30 and now wants kids. But I keep telling her that I can't even consider it until things change. For one, I can't have a kid with someone that I can't trust. I dont want to have kids with someone that is not a good partner. I also feel like she did the adoptions because she just didn't want to have my kids. Like I was not good enough until now since she is 30 and feels presure. And I guess part of me feels like I dont deserve it. I don't deserve to be happy.
That is some of my story.
First, welcome to the forums. There is a wealth of information here.
I do have one question. If she has acted like this for over 6 years, why are you still with her?
I don't deserve to be happy.
This couldn't be further from the truth. You DO deserve to be happy. From outside looking in I would say that this relationship is never going to work the way you would like it to. I hate to say that, but that is my honest opinion.
I can't have a kid with someone that I can't trust
You said it yourself, you can't trust her. Do not have any more children with her.
I also feel like she did the adoptions because she just didn't want to have my kids. Like I was not good enough until now since she is 30 and feels presure.
This shows her true feelings about you. Run, don't walk away from her.
Being a woman I can say that if a man ever treated me the way she is apparently treating you, that he would be out of my life so fast his head would spin.
My suggestion would be to change your contact information (phone #'s, email addy and if possible, your address). Yes, move if possible. Get completely out of the area. Go to another state and start fresh. Just don't let her know where you are going. If possible, leave contact information with either the adoptive parents of your daughters or with a trusted person that can keep your whereabouts from this woman. This way the girls can have at least a starting point for finding you when they are of age, and if they want to. It will also give the adoptive parents a starting point if anything medical should come up with the girls and they need information from you.
Good luck. Remember, you ARE worthy of happiness.
Advertisements
I am an adopted child and trying to get answers from the fathers point of the adoption process. This would help me understand your perspectives and feeling, was well as research for many fathers that feel the same. Please answer the following questions and reply back.
Thank you so much for your participation.
Anonymous Questionnaire for Biological Fathers
Please answer all questions below in great detail and to the best of your ability as this is for research purposes. I dont need any personal information from you except your age at that time of relinquishment, which is the first question below:
Please specify your age at the time of relinquishment?
At the time you relinquished your right to your child, how did you feel psychologically, emotionally, and/or physically?
Who all was involved in making the decision to give the child up for adoption? (I. e., you, spouse, partner, and/or family) Please explain in detail.
How did you all come to this discussion? Pleases explain in detail.
Did you have or consider your options or choices? Please explain in detail.
Did it affect you at any point before you had more children? How so, please specify in detail?
Have you ever tried to contact/searched for you biological child? Please specify in detail? What was the outcome?
Do you know anything about them? (I.E. where they live, what they look like, anything at all that might help with research)?
How has it affected you since you had more children, between children or after your children, how has it affected you since? Please be specific.
What are your feelings on the matter now? Please explain in detail.
Would you change anything about the situation as a whole? Please explain in detail.
From experience: two people can love each other but be toxic together. Sometimes you just have to walk away.